Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Searching for gaps in huge (2.2G) log file? Post 95471 by Perderabo on Wednesday 11th of January 2006 01:09:07 PM
Old 01-11-2006
Why not loop grepping for each minute? Pipe into "wc-l". If it's too low, print it out. That should be very easy. Don't be too surprised if it thins out during your busiest period though. syslog is a UDP service and no retransmission attempt is made.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help searching log file with dates

Im tyring to create a script that will show me any lines in a file with todays date and yesterdays, the date format in the file is as follows ----- amqxfdcx.c : 728 -------------------------------------------------------- 07/12/05 09:53:20 AMQ6109: An internal WebSphere MQ error has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a string in a log file with little movement

I have a script which tails a log file and if it finds certain strings in the data tailed it sends an email, basically like this: tail -f logfile > tmp.file & sleep 10 kill $! STRING=$(grep -c "string" tmp.file) && echo $STRING | mailx -s "Warning.." admin@123.com When the string is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Gaps in Time

I am very new to shell scripting. We use C-Shell here and I know the issues that surround it. I hope a solution can be created using awk, sed, etc... instead of having to write a program. I have an input file that is sorted by date and time in ascending order ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting and moving file sequence with gaps

Hello, I have lots of sequentially numbered files which make up an image sequence. I'm trying to do two things with it: #1: Find gaps in the sequence and move each range of sequencial files into their own subfolder. #2: Designate a starting point (file) and move every 24th file into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ex_H
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting info from a huge log file

Hello everyone. I am having problem with parsing a data from the huge log file. the log file is an application log with around 5 Gb in size and it rotates every midnight. Now if the application encountered such issue, it sends an email with a specific info but without further details. So I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gaps and frequencies

I have this infile: >GHL8OVD01BNNCA Freq 10 TAGATGTGCCCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGATAGT-GCAGCA-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVT Freq 1 TTGATGTCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGCAAATAGT-GCAGCA-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVT Freq 1 TTGATGTGCCAGTTTCCCGTCTAGCAGCACTACCAGGACCTTCGC-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVW Freq 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xterra
1 Replies
POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)

NAME
POE::Pipe::OneWay - a portable API for one-way pipes SYNOPSIS
my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die "couldn't create a pipe: $!" unless defined $read; DESCRIPTION
The right way to create an anonymous pipe varies from one operating system to the next. Some operating systems support "pipe()". Others require "socketpair()". And a few operating systems support neither, so a plain old socket must be created. POE::Pipe::OneWay will attempt to create a unidirectional pipe using "pipe()", "socketpair()", and IO::Socket::INET, in that order. Exceptions are hardcoded for operating systems with broken or nonstandard behaviors. The upshot of all this is that an application can portably create a one-way pipe by instantiating POE::Pipe::OneWay. The work of deciding how to create the pipe and opening the handles will be taken care of internally. POE::Pipe::OneWay may be used outside of POE, as it doesn't use POE internally. PUBLIC METHODS
new [TYPE] Create a new one-way pipe, optionally constraining it to a particular TYPE of pipe. One-way pipes have two ends: a "read" end and a "write" end. On success, new() returns two handles: one for the "read" end and one for the "write" end. Returns nothing on failure, and sets $! to explain why the constructor failed. my ($read, $write) = POE::Pipe::OneWay->new(); die $! unless defined $read; TYPE may be one of "pipe", "socketpair", or "inet". When set, POE::Pipe::OneWay will constrain its search to either "pipe()", a UNIX- domain "socketpair()", or plain old sockets, respectively. Otherwise new() will try each method in order, or a particular method predetermined to be the best one for the current operating environment. BUGS
POE::Pipe::OneWay may block up to one second on some systems if failure occurs while trying to create "inet" sockets. SEE ALSO
POE::Pipe, POE::Pipe::TwoWay. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT POE::Pipe::OneWay is copyright 2000-2008 by Rocco Caputo. All rights reserved. POE::Pipe::OneWay is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Pipe::OneWay(3pm)