Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: the "which" command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers the "which" command Post 95459 by dsmv on Wednesday 11th of January 2006 11:27:56 AM
Old 01-11-2006
"in the search path"

I am sorry I did not get that.
I am at the root. when i executed #which cttsetup.csh.
Moreover even if i am in the same directory as the file
ie i am in /usr/local/sw/vni/CTT6.0/bin/ and execute which cttsetup.csh
it says no cttsetup.csh in (...)

Has this got anything to do with the .bash_profile file? because this cttsetup.csh is a file from a software i have installed recently and i am still having problems using the software.

What does "a file being in the search path" mean? Does path here mean $PATH something i see in the .bash_profile file (or) does this mean that the file just needs to be in one of the sub directories.

Thank You.
Mohan Varma.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The "PS" command was displaying*terminals named as "SYSCON"

Hi, When typing the command ps -fe.the system is showing a process called SYSCON:confused:.... I am not sure what process is that.I hava a script that kills all command staring with 'sys' but i don't want to kill syscon:( since i think it is some system process:confused: .Please help me to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranjose85
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install "source" command!/ broken "login.cl"!

Hello, I am new to this forums and this is my first "asking help" message! i have 2 problems: 1- for unknown reasons the "source" command is not avalable in my system (UBUNTU). i can't either see it in my bin directory! 2- again for unknown reasons the "login.cl" file in the home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrosona
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
which(1)							   User Commands							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a command; display its pathname or alias SYNOPSIS
which [filename...] DESCRIPTION
which takes a list of names and looks for the files which would be executed had these names been given as commands. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are taken from the user's .cshrc file. FILES
~/.cshrc source of aliases and path values /usr/bin/which ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names which are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. NOTES
which is not a shell built-in command; it is the UNIX command, /usr/bin/which BUGS
Only aliases and paths from ~/.cshrc are used; importing from the current environment is not attempted. Must be executed by csh(1), since only csh knows about aliases. To compensate for ~/.cshrc files in which aliases depend upon the prompt variable being set, which sets this variable to NULL. If the ~/.cshrc produces output or prompts for input when prompt is set, which may produce some strange results. SunOS 5.10 26 Sep 1992 which(1)