Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers telnet, rlogin, ssh login probblem Post 95164 by RTM on Sunday 8th of January 2006 09:13:09 AM
Old 01-08-2006
Either those services are not turned on (security reasons) or the system you are trying to get to the IRIX box are not allowed.

You would need to look at /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny, and/or /etc/inetd.conf. See IRIX security for more info. If telnet and rlogin are off, I suggest you keep it that way. Just try to get ssh working and turn off ftp (you can use scp instead) unless ftp is required.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin & telnet

hi what is the main difference between rlogin and telnet? Or they are synonymous cheers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dos based ssh/telnet login program

I want to find a program that can run in DOS, login to a ssh/telnet server, then run a specifed command to do a daily jobs, can anyone tell me is there any application i can find in the internet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

3. AIX

Not able to login as normal users through console /telnet/ssh

Hi , I am having problem,users are not able to login through ssh or telnet.Only we can login as root user in console. Restarted telnet and sshd ,no luck. Any ideas. AIX -- 5.2 ML 07 Thanks, MNK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnkfre
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot login via telnet or ssh to AIX 5.2 server

I somehow modified the system so that no one can telnet or ssh into this box as any user including root. I might have blown away important files, I don't know. Please let me know what I have to check to make it so that I can login. This is what I get when I try to telnet or ssh: telnet bk02... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
5 Replies

5. Solaris

rlogin, telnet connections timeout

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 5 desktop with Solaris 8. When I telnet/rlogin into any other host, the connection closes after few hours of inactivity. I also have another Windows box which I use rarely. But when I telnet/rlogin into the same hosts using putty, the connection stays for days without any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_gsb
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

rlogin,telnet-different or same?

Hai guys, Both "rlogin" and "telnet" are used to login remote host.Is there any differece between these 2 commands? (or) are both same? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin and telnet

I want to make a script which will execute a command from a remote server like below rlogin server1 then telnet server2 (username, password will be given) now execute command (it may "ls -l *.txt") and give the output I've to do this manually but want to make it automatic Script may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin / ssh login with password

Hello, I need to find a way to connect from server1 to 30 other servers using a single line command in order to run various command from the other 30 servers. I am looking for a single line connection command in which i can provide the server name user name and password and connect to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

telnet login successful ,but ssh can not login

why I can login by telnet using root account but when i use login by ssh using root account it is not successful ,is it different password i am sure ssh service is started (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies
SOCKS_CLIENTS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  SOCKS_CLIENTS(1)

NAME
rfinger - SOCKS client version of finger rftp - SOCKS client version of ftp rtelnet - SOCKS client version of telnet rwhois - SOCKS client version of whois SYNOPSIS
See the man pages on finger(1), ftp(1), telnet(1), whois(1). DESCRIPTION
These programs provide the well-known functionalities to hosts within a firewall. Normally, when a firewall is constructed, IP-accessibil- ity across the firewall is cut off to reduce security risk to hosts within the firewall. As a result, inside hosts can no longer use many of the well-known tools directly to access the resources outside the firewall. These programs restore the convenience of the well-known tools while maintaining the security requirement. Though the programs differ very much from their counterparts in the use of the communication scheme, they should behave almost indistinguishable to the users. Note though that rftp does echo the password as you type it in if you are using anonymous as log-in name. Unlike those of the previous versions, these are "versatile" clients, meaning that they can be used for connections to inside hosts directly and to outside hosts via SOCKS proxy servers. So they can be used as replacements of their traditional counterparts. When any of these programs starts, if the environment variable SOCKS_BANNER is defined, the program prints to stderr its version number and the name or IP address of its default SOCKS proxy server. It then consults the configuration file to determine whether a request should be allowed or denied based on the requesting user, the destination host, and the requested service. For allowable requests, the configuration file also dictates whether direct or proxy connection should be used to the given destination, and optionally the actual SOCKS servers to use for the proxy connection. The program lookps first for the frozen configuration file /etc/socks.fc first. If that's not found, it then looks for the file /etc/socks.conf. If both files are absent, these programs will only try direct connections to the destination hosts, making them behaving like their regular counterparts. You can use environment variable SOCKS_NS to set the nameserver for domainname resolutions. Be sure you use the IP address of the name- server you want to use, not its domainname. If SOCKS_NS doesn't exist, the IP address defined by the symbol SOCKS_DEFAULT_NS at compile time is used if the programs were compiled with that symbol defined. Otherwise the nameservers specified in /etc/resolv.conf are used. All the client programs uses syslog with facility daemon and level notice to log their activities. These log lines usually appear in file /var/adm/messages though that can be changed by modifying /etc/syslog.conf. (See syslogd(8) and syslog.conf(5).) Typical lines look like Apr 11 10:02:23 eon rfinger[631]: connect() from don(don) to abc.com (finger) using sockd at socksserv May 10 08:39:07 eon rftp[603]: connect() directly from blue(blue) to xyz.edu (ftp) May 10 08:39:09 eon rftp[603]: bind() directly from blue(blue) for xyz.edu (ftp) May 18 13:31:19 eon rtelnet[830]: connect() from root(jon) to xyz.edu (telnet) using sockd at sockd2 May 18 14:51:19 eon rtelnet[921]: refused -- connect() from jon(jon) to xyz.edu (telnet) Of the two user-ids appearing in each log line, the first is the effective user-id when the program is invoked, the second (that within the parentheses) is the one used at login. Access control applies to the effective user-ids. SEE ALSO
finger(1), ftp(1), sockd(8), sockd.conf(5), socks.conf(5), telnet(1), whois(1) ENVIRONMENT
SOCKS_SERVER, if defined, specifies the name or IP address of the SOCKS proxy server host to use, overriding the default server compiled into the programs. SOCKS_NS, if defined, specify the IP address of the domain nameserver that should be used for name resolution, overriding both the defini- tion of symbol SOCKS_DEFAULT_NS and the file /etc/resolv.conf. ORIG_FINGER, if defined, specified the (altered) full pathname of the original finger program, which should have been renamed before installing the rfinger as the regular finger. The rfinger program invokes the original finger program to lookup information on local users. Normally this name should be compiled directly into rfinger, avoiding the need for this environment variable. Use ORIG_FINGER only if you want to override what is compiled into rfinger. AUTHOR
David Koblas, koblas@netcom.com Ying-Da Lee, ylee@syl.dl.nec.com May 6, 1996 SOCKS_CLIENTS(1)