Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to delete away text in a file? Post 95060 by vino on Friday 6th of January 2006 05:11:51 AM
Old 01-06-2006
For a sed solution, this will work. I assumed that your timestamp would be of the pattern hh:mm:ss

Code:
sed -e 's_^..:..:.. .*<pregate_<pregate_g' sample.txt > sample.modified

Else this will work in any case

Code:
sed -e 's_^.\{,2\}:.\{,2\}:.\{,2\} .*<pregate_<pregate_g' sample.txt > sample.modified

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last line from text file

I have a file with which i must remove the last line of the file (the footer). I know how to copy and redirect with tail -1 etc, but how do i delete it permanentely (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from any text file ?

What command I can use to delete first line from any text file ? Thk (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular text without opening the file.

Hi, Could someone tell me how to delete a particular text inside an existing file without opening the file? e.g. I have a text file called mytext.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want to delete “ ;” and delete the second line “b ;” including the carriage return. a ; b ; c ;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete line in text file

Hi, How do I go about deleting a line in a text file. I have used grep to find a particlular word, now how do I delete the line? so far I got: grep -i $keyword file.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Berserk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete one line from a text file

PATTERN="" sed "/$PATTERN/d" $file In the file data is stored as ::: ::: I need to delete only the line containing the PATTERN pls help to point out why the above code is not working (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomsandy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines from text file?

hi guys, I have very large txt files (200GB) and just want to to delete the first two lines (headers). So far I used sed -i '1,2d' infile.txtbut this command always takes extremely long as it writes all again. Is there a better way to do it (ie just to delete the lines without writing all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete text from each record in a file

Hi guys, I have been given a small task to do and I am stuck already. I have to format a file with people's emails address in it ready for pasting into the BCC section of an email. The file looks like this:- bob@ibm.com SMTP BOB SMITH text text text sue@icl.org SMTP Susy Smith text text... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe_evans
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file?

I have 2 TXT files with with 8 columns in them(tab separated). First file has 2000 entries whereas 2nd file has 300 entries. The first file has ALL the lines of second file. Now I need to remove those 300 lines (which are in both files) from first file so that first file's line count become... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records based on a text file from a text file

Hi Folks, I am a novice and need to build a script in bash. I have 2 text files data.txt file is big file, column 2 is the we need to search and delete in the output. The filter file contains the rows to be deleted. Data.txt state city zone Alabama Huntsville 4 California SanDiego 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)