Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: searching for $ character
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching for $ character Post 95038 by Ygor on Thursday 5th of January 2006 10:21:13 PM
Old 01-05-2006
Try fgrep or grep -F

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string for a character

I have a co-worker that is trying to make a Wheel of Fortune game and he wants to know if there is a way to search a string for the letter given by the user. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a particular character in a file

Hi, I want to search how many times is "a" present in a file named "data". How to do this? Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamshaw
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Searching for length of words between slash character

Dear UNIX Community, I have a set of file paths like the one below: \\folder name \ folder1 \ folder2 \ folder3 \ folder4 \\folder name \ very long folder name \ even longer name I would like to find the length of the characters (including space) between the \'s. However, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude new line character while searching

Hi, I have a log file and want to search "0.48976360737438795" with excluding new line character. Currently i am using the following command: cat LogFile.log | tr -d '\n' | grep '0.48976360737438795' This command giving me the response if file size is small but if i am using a big file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit jain
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching Alphanumeric Character From a File

Hi, In a error log file, the error code of a particular error contains both Alphabet and Numbers. My problem statement is to find the error codes from a particular log. That means, I need to search a word, which contains both alphabet and number. Please help me. Below is two examples of error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snehasish_jana
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching invalid character in list of client name

Hi Friend, I have a client name list and client name has some invalid character due to which some issue raised and list of client are15k. I want to make script who find invalid character name. can you please help me how i can make script, i means i need logic. Valid character are :- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)