Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: URL calling in PERL
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting URL calling in PERL Post 94853 by cbkihong on Wednesday 4th of January 2006 10:29:16 AM
Old 01-04-2006
You ought to be able to use the LWP::Simple Perl module for that. You may use the get() function. Please search the Web for examples but I think the documentation provided should already be sufficient to get you going.

If it is not yet installed, you may need to download from:
http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.805/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check URL using PERL

I am trying to create a perl script that will make sure a web page can be accessed going through an Apache httpd. The actual content of the web page does not matter. Most likely the web page will just have "You have successfully reached this port." This script will eventually be running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehoboth
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a URL

I'm trying to update a Unix script to open a url. I'm told by our Unix expert that this will have to be done in a Perl script and called by our current Unix script. Is there a way to open a specific url from a Unix script? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmcdaniel
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies

5. Programming

calling Perl from C

Hi, I am trying to execute a perl script from c program. I tried using system command. system("perl test.pl filename") ; This perl program takes filename as input and prints a number to screen. I need to get that returned number in C program. system command is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkusumam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match url in string / PERL

Am trying to remove urls from text strings in PERL. I have the following but it does not seem to work: $remarks =~ s/www\.\s+\.com//gi; In English, I want to look for www. then I want to delete the www. and everything after it until I hit a space (but not including the space). It's not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrealty
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling perl subroutine from perl expect module

All, Is it possible to call a subroutine from the perl expect module after logging to a system that is within the same program. My situation is I need to run a logic inside a machine that I'm logging in using the expect module, the logic is also available in the same expect program. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expression - To match a Dynamic URL

Hello All, I have a requirement to match a dynamic url and extract each of the directory and page and store it -Only PERL style Regular EXP as it will be used in informatica - REG_EXTRACT function Example Input URLs: 1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Perl script that can check a URL and notifiy when changes occur

I'm a scripting newbie and I'm trying to learn. No better way than being assigned a project. So basically, I'm trying to come up with a script that can periodically check a URL and then notify when changes occur to the file. So what I'm thinking is that I need to devise a PERL script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam1mc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simultaneous calling of url

Hello I want to call multiple sites simultaneously by xargs or parallel for example a.com/srv/1 a.com/srv/3 a.com/srv/2 a.com/srv/n That means 500 different sites will be called in a moment Then I use command I call a url at the same time. I need to call each url once, but every 500... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnnn
1 Replies
LWP::Simple(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    LWP::Simple(3)

NAME
get, head, getprint, getstore, mirror - Procedural LWP interface SYNOPSIS
perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"' use LWP::Simple; $content = get("http://www.sn.no/") if (mirror("http://www.sn.no/", "foo") == RC_NOT_MODIFIED) { ... } if (is_success(getprint("http://www.sn.no/"))) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This interface is intended for those who want a simplified view of the libwww-perl library. It should also be suitable for one-liners. If you need more control or access to the header fields in the requests sent and responses received you should use the full object oriented interface provided by the "LWP::UserAgent" module. The following functions are provided (and exported) by this module: get($url) The get() function will fetch the document identified by the given URL and return it. It returns "undef" if it fails. The $url argu- ment can be either a simple string or a reference to a URI object. You will not be able to examine the response code or response headers (like 'Content-Type') when you are accessing the web using this function. If you need that information you should use the full OO interface (see LWP::UserAgent). head($url) Get document headers. Returns the following 5 values if successful: ($content_type, $document_length, $modified_time, $expires, $server) Returns an empty list if it fails. In scalar context returns TRUE if successful. getprint($url) Get and print a document identified by a URL. The document is printed to STDOUT as data is received from the network. If the request fails, then the status code and message are printed on STDERR. The return value is the HTTP response code. getstore($url, $file) Gets a document identified by a URL and stores it in the file. The return value is the HTTP response code. mirror($url, $file) Get and store a document identified by a URL, using If-modified-since, and checking the Content-Length. Returns the HTTP response code. This module also exports the HTTP::Status constants and procedures. These can be used when you check the response code from getprint(), getstore() and mirror(). The constants are: RC_CONTINUE RC_SWITCHING_PROTOCOLS RC_OK RC_CREATED RC_ACCEPTED RC_NON_AUTHORITATIVE_INFORMATION RC_NO_CONTENT RC_RESET_CONTENT RC_PARTIAL_CONTENT RC_MULTIPLE_CHOICES RC_MOVED_PERMANENTLY RC_MOVED_TEMPORARILY RC_SEE_OTHER RC_NOT_MODIFIED RC_USE_PROXY RC_BAD_REQUEST RC_UNAUTHORIZED RC_PAYMENT_REQUIRED RC_FORBIDDEN RC_NOT_FOUND RC_METHOD_NOT_ALLOWED RC_NOT_ACCEPTABLE RC_PROXY_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED RC_REQUEST_TIMEOUT RC_CONFLICT RC_GONE RC_LENGTH_REQUIRED RC_PRECONDITION_FAILED RC_REQUEST_ENTITY_TOO_LARGE RC_REQUEST_URI_TOO_LARGE RC_UNSUPPORTED_MEDIA_TYPE RC_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR RC_NOT_IMPLEMENTED RC_BAD_GATEWAY RC_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE RC_GATEWAY_TIMEOUT RC_HTTP_VERSION_NOT_SUPPORTED The HTTP::Status classification functions are: is_success($rc) True if response code indicated a successful request. is_error($rc) True if response code indicated that an error occured. The module will also export the LWP::UserAgent object as $ua if you ask for it explicitly. The user agent created by this module will identify itself as "LWP::Simple/#.##" (where "#.##" is the libwww-perl version number) and will initialize its proxy defaults from the environment (by calling $ua->env_proxy). SEE ALSO
LWP, LWP::UserAgent, HTTP::Status, lwp-request, lwp-mirror libwww-perl-5.65 2001-07-20 LWP::Simple(3)