Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get variable to re-evaluate itself? Post 94707 by vino on Tuesday 3rd of January 2006 08:51:45 AM
Old 01-03-2006
I am not sure if this will help so much.

Why not put your code a while true loop ?

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

while :
do
d=$(tail -1 test4.csv | cut -f1 -d" ")
e=$((d + 1))
echo e is $e
sleep 3
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate the value of a variable?

I have variables: FOO="Text" BAR="FOO" I'd like to be able to evaluate the variable named as the value of $BAR. echo $FOO Text echo $BAR FOO This is what I'd like to do: echo ${$BAR} (this won't work) Text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron does not evaluate the quotes

Hi all, I have a script that runs perfectly from cmd, but in the cron it gives a strange ':::::::::::::::' output instead of evaluating the part inside the quotes. this is the script: bash-3.00# more test #!/bin/ksh #-----swap--- TEMP_FILE=/HealthCheck/test/file.txt swap -s | tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate string containing shell variable names

Hello, I have this: #!/usr/bin/ksh V1=ABC str="hello 123;${V1}" eval "echo $str" i get hello 123 /script.sh ABC not found However eval works if $str variable doesn't contain a semicolumn (eg if str="hello 123~${v1}" running the eval statement above would produce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: endorphin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value of a variable ?

How to evaluate the value of a variable ? For example: a=var $a=value !!!error happens!!! I want to evaluate var=value, how to realize it? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 AM ---------- I am using linux bash. a=var $a=value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate expressions in file

I have a situation where i need to evaluate expression and do substitutions in file file.ports port1=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 1` port2=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 2` port3=`expr $STARTINGPORT + 3` Intended output If my STARINGPORT is 100 port1=101 port2=102 port3=103 Can anyone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasiharitha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does ||: evaluate?

In BASH, how does ||: get interpreted. I know || is logical or. And I believe : evaluates to true. Can someone give a thorough explanation for this usage? Example for i in $IGGY do && skipdb=1 || : (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Variable At Runtime

Hi, I am trying to set a variable that has time the format desired. And my intention is to echo variable (instead of actual date command) everytime I like to echo date. Please take a look at below code. $NOW='' echo $NOW After 5 minutes $echo $NOW Issue here is , I am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate a variable name on LHS of expression?

I am trying to write a simple function to select values from a database and assign them to variables. It can have any number of arguments sent into it, and I want to assign the value retrieved to a different variable name for each argument sent in. So my code looks something like this: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to evaluate expression under awk?

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | \ nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
sleep(1)							   User Commands							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - suspend execution for an interval SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/sleep /usr/bin/sleep time ksh93 sleep time DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/sleep sleep suspends execution for at least the integral number of seconds specified by time. ksh93 sleep suspends execution for at least the time in seconds specified by time or until a SIGALRM signal is received. OPERANDS
/usr/bin/sleep The following operands are supported for /usr/bin/sleep: time time in seconds can be specified as a non-negative decimal integer number. ksh93 The following operands are supported: time Specify time in seconds as a floating point number. The actual granularity depends on the underlying system, normally around 1 mil- lisecond. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Suspending Command Execution The following example executes a command after a certain amount of time: example% (sleep 105; command)& Example 2 Executing a Command Every So Often The following example executes a command every so often: example% while true do command sleep 37 done ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of sleep: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The execution was successfully suspended for at least time seconds, or a SIGALRM signal was received (see NOTES). >0 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/sleep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), wait(1), alarm(2), sleep(3C), wait(3UCB), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
If the sleep utility receives a SIGALRM signal, one of the following actions is taken: o Terminate normally with a zero exit status. o Effectively ignore the signal. The sleep utility takes the standard action for all other signals. SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 sleep(1)