Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers restoring old /etc permissions Post 9448 by su on Friday 26th of October 2001 06:20:15 PM
Old 10-26-2001
restoring old /etc permissions

A co-worker inadvertently changed all the permissions in /etc by doing 'chmod *' ....

Anyway, we have a backup tape to restore from, but I'm not sure how to use the 'restore' command and options to just restore the permissions.

Would appreciate any recommendation/suggestion.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a file from Tape

help please i have "inherited" a Sco Server (the administrator departed in a hurry...yes we are chasing him..) and haven't used Unix for 8 years. i have a file that i need to retrieve from a tape. i have been able to find the file on tape using the cpio -ivt command. however... the problem I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfischer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backups

okay.. pple.. say now i got an aix box. of course i could restore a backup done in aix environment. 1) now how about doing a restore from sun, hp from the aix box.? 2) can we install a sun, hp os into an aix box? 3) if (1) prohibits, then how about doing an sun, hp os installation on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

3. AIX

restoring mksysb urgent

Guys, Got a very urgent question here. I accindently deleted everything on my RS600, with the rm -R command. Now I want to restore an mksysb tape but I get the following error. format on /dev/rmt1.1 is not in backup format please mount /dev/rmt1.1 and press enter. Can anyone help me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring deleted files

I had a user run, by accident, the following line command on our UNIX server: rm -f /usr/* This apparently deleted some needed files on your system. Having very limited knowledge in UNIX, I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows how I can recover these file? The version of UNIX is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file

I'm new to Unix and have just wrote a little program to move files to a recycle bin (a Directory i created) and restore them. The problem is that i need to keep track of all the full filenames so that i can restore them to the right place. I did this by creating a file called delreg and putting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring tape files...

Hi all, I have kinda inherited this problem, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Currently all our backup rentention periods are set to 2 weeks, so that we can cycle through tapes (save money etc...). Anyhow the guys next door in IT, decided one day long long ago, that it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restoring files from CVS !

I have accidently removed a file using the command rm -r "file.txt" (I have removed it locally !) I need to restore the file.txt to my existing CVS version.How can I do it ? Please help. Thank you. :wall: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring problem on tape!

hi all , a messages appeared to me when i was checking my /var/adm/messages and the below code was in it Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod scsi: /pci@3,700000/SUNW,emlxs@0/fp@0,0/st@w21000024ff305234,7 (st1): Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod Restoring tape position at fileno=320,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying/Restoring UNIX O/S

can someone shed just a little light in the broadest sense, not actual commands, on what is involved in copying a UNIX install from one HD to another, or if that is even possible Can I use DOS as a frame of reference or is that at all relevant? With DOS (and early Windows versions) You could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring deleted file with rm -rf

Is there a way I could recover a deleted text file with "rm -rf" command. Running CentOS 6.5. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)