Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing variable values in all files in directories Post 94409 by linuxpenguin on Friday 30th of December 2005 03:11:28 PM
Old 12-30-2005
All the below 3 lines in the above 2 codes

sed -e 's/A = 10/A = 20/g' $file > temp
cat temp > $file
rm temp

can be replaced by
perl -pi -e 's/A = 10/A = 20/g' $file
## No hassle to create temp file, rename, move, or cat and redirect

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing File values

Currently I am using the tr command in 3 scenarios for a ksh script. 1) Replacing any spaces in the file with a ~ tr ' ' '~' <$orignalFile> $newFile 2) After certain processing is done at the end of the scirpt i convert the Tilde back to spaces tr ' ' '~' <$newFile> $newFile2 3) Last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgjdv
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing variable values in html tags

Hi please help me with this . I have a file test.txt with following content $cat test.txt <td>$test</td> <h2>$test2</h2> and I have a ksh with following content $cat test.ksh #!/bin/ksh test=3 test2=4 while read line do echo $line done < test.html I am expecting the output as (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panduandpavan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing variable is files in same directory

Hi all, I'm writing a script to get values from the user and replace it in another file in the same directory. /usr/bin/sediff 's/$PROJECT/'$PROJECT'/' /ananth/TEMPLATE TEMPLATE is the file I want to replace the variable PROJECT from the script I'm writing but Im not getting it done. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing column values

hi all , ( perl) i am trying to replace jst one column in a file for eg month dayofweek dealar car-name jan thurs mercedes c300 feb wed lexus is300 all this data is in a master file and i want to replace jan with 1 feb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: technoman
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in replacing column values

Hello All, I am having the file as below .I need to replace column 9-12 with some other values. In the below file I need to replace 1509 to 1508 and 1508 to 1507 .Can you please help me in how to do that Thanks, Arun ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
10 Replies
IO::AtomicFile(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 IO::AtomicFile(3)

NAME
IO::AtomicFile - write a file which is updated atomically SYNOPSIS
use IO::AtomicFile; ### Write a temp file, and have it install itself when closed: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->close || die "couldn't install atomic file: $!"; ### Write a temp file, but delete it before it gets installed: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->delete; ### Write a temp file, but neither install it nor delete it: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->detach; DESCRIPTION
This module is intended for people who need to update files reliably in the face of unexpected program termination. For example, you generally don't want to be halfway in the middle of writing /etc/passwd and have your program terminate! Even the act of writing a single scalar to a filehandle is not atomic. But this module gives you true atomic updates, via rename(). When you open a file /foo/bar.dat via this module, you are actually opening a temporary file /foo/bar.dat..TMP, and writing your output there. The act of closing this file (either explicitly via close(), or implicitly via the destruction of the object) will cause rename() to be called... therefore, from the point of view of the outside world, the file's contents are updated in a single time quantum. To ensure that problems do not go undetected, the "close" method done by the destructor will raise a fatal exception if the rename() fails. The explicit close() just returns undef. You can also decide at any point to trash the file you've been building. AUTHOR
Primary Maintainer David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com). Original Author Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com). President, ZeeGee Software Inc (http://www.zeegee.com). REVISION
$Revision: 1.2 $ perl v5.16.2 2005-02-10 IO::AtomicFile(3)