Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: alias with args how to ...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers alias with args how to ... Post 94198 by mahendramahendr on Wednesday 28th of December 2005 04:02:55 AM
Old 12-28-2005
It is simple, you only see the command in standard output because you are just printing in awk and you not executing the command.

Could you post the output of stlist command, you want to do ls -lrt to the output of 2nd column of stlist command ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Args to Array

Hello all, I have a question. Please help me to populate an array with the arguments passing to a Shell scripts. For example when I call "abc.sh a1 a2 a3" args (a1, a2, ...) recieved in an Array inside the abc.sh arr = a1 arr = a2 and so on... Thanks in advance, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
2 Replies

2. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

args of 50+ files

Hey.. I've gotten inspired by another thread and used this: #!/usr/bin/bash args 2,5 $(<file.list) It works but I'll like the results separated into different files or back into the 'used'/original files, whatever is easiest. e.g. use fileA | args 2,5 > fileB or fileA and then do this to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameters/Args

Hello, i have a problem. I must write a script, which wants 2 arguments. for example: ./test.sh x.txt y.txtit must be write x.txt in y.txt and when i give 1 or no argument like /.test.sh x.txtmust this give a error message like: SYNTAX <inputfile> <outputfile> my solution is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Args and Nawk

I am trying to write a simple shell script that will take certain arguments (numerical values) and plug each one into a nawk command. I thought I would need to use for args x y z but i get syntax errors: for args 16 1 3 25 31 41 do nawk -F, '{if($10==$ &&... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem parsing args

Heya Tooltip: Parsing (getopts) for -u successfully sets mode=umnt, but case umnt is not executed, instead it either executes/show help or regular mount screen. I had copy pasted the structure of a getopts 'structure' from Man Page for getopts (posix Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit $args within a command

Hi, I'm using a while loop for a given command "bowtie2" with several parameters. mkdir clean paste <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R1_val_1.fq.gz) <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R2_val_2.fq.gz) |sed 's/"./-1 ./' | sed 's/gz"\t/gz\t -2 /' | sed 's/"//g' |\ while read args ; do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
5 Replies
STDBUF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 STDBUF(1)

NAME
stdbuf -- change standard streams initial buffering SYNOPSIS
stdbuf [-e bufdef] [-i bufdef] [-o bufdef] [command [...]] DESCRIPTION
stdbuf is used to change the initial buffering of standard input, standard output and/or standard error streams for command. It relies on libstdbuf(3) which is loaded and configured by stdbuf through environment variables. The options are as follows: -e bufdef Set initial buffering of the standard error stream for command as defined by bufdef (see BUFFER DEFINITION). -i bufdef Set initial buffering of the standard input stream for command as defined by bufdef (see BUFFER DEFINITION). -o bufdef Set initial buffering of the standard output stream for command as defined by bufdef (see BUFFER DEFINITION). BUFFER DEFINITION
Buffer definition is the same as in libstdbuf(3): "0" unbuffered "L" line buffered "B" fully buffered with the default buffer size size fully buffered with a buffer of size bytes (suffixes 'k', 'M' and 'G' are accepted) EXAMPLES
In the following example, the stdout stream of the awk(1) command will be fully buffered by default because it does not refer to a terminal. stdbuf is used to force it to be line-buffered so vmstat(8)'s output will not stall until the full buffer fills. # vmstat 1 | stdbuf -o L awk '$2 > 1 || $3 > 1' | cat -n SEE ALSO
libstdbuf(3), setvbuf(3) HISTORY
The stdbuf utility first appeared in FreeBSD 8.4. AUTHORS
The original idea of the stdbuf command comes from Padraig Brady who implemented it in the GNU coreutils. Jeremie Le Hen implemented it on FreeBSD. BSD
April 28, 2012 BSD