Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting moving to a specified line number Post 94001 by xiamin on Monday 26th of December 2005 05:33:24 AM
Old 12-26-2005
moving to a specified line number

Hi

Is there any command or a trick that can take me to a specifed line number in unix .

Suppose i have a file with 2000 lines and i would like to go to line number 1899 and then print out the contents of the line.

regards
Hrishy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving large number of files

I have a task to move more than 35000 files every two hours, from the same directory to another directory based on a file that has the list of filenames I tried the following logics (1) find . -name \*.dat > list for i in `cat list` do mv $i test/ done (2) cat list|xargs -i mv "{}"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file. My Question is, I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line. I know the line numbers, I need to get all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving extremely large number of files to destination

Hello Techies, m here with a small issue. Have read out all the relavent threads on unix.com but it was not so good sol. for me. It's a simple & known issue. I want to move lots of files to dest folder. Actually I want to pick up 1 year older files, but that is even taking lots of... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write $line number into textfile and read from line number

Hello everyone, I don't really know anything about scripting, but I have to manage to make this script, out of necessity. #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do #I'm reading from a big wordlist instructions using $line done Is there a way to automatically write the $line number the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving line up if line starts with + sign.

Hello everyone, I'm struggling with this command: awk '!/^\+/{ORS=FS}/^\+/{ORS=RS}1' file1 > file2 What I want to do is to move any line that starts with the + sign 1 up, so its the continuation of the previous. The above command is messing the whole output, can you please let me know... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies
PQLIST(1)							      pqlist								 PQLIST(1)

NAME
pqlist - List available NetWare print queues SYNOPSIS
pqlist [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ pattern ] DESCRIPTION
pqlist lists all the NetWare print queues available to you on some server. If you are already connected to some server, this one is used. If pqlist does not print to a tty, the decorative header line is not printed, so that you can count the printing queue available on your server by doing pqlist -S server | wc -l pqlist looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
pattern pattern is used to list only selected queues. You can use wildcards in the pattern, but you have to be careful to prevent shell inter- pretation of wildcards like '*'. -h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user name If the user name your NetWare administrator gave to you differs from your unix user-id, you should use -U to tell the server about your NetWare user name. -P password You may want to give the password required by the server on the command line. You should be careful about using passwords in scripts. -n -n should be given to mount shares which do not require a password to log in. If neither -n nor -P are given, pqlist prompts for a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), nprint(1), slist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
pqlist was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) pqlist 01/10/1996 PQLIST(1)