Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there any cmd to kill a process including its childs ( or sub processes spawned by Post 93897 by gvsreddy_539 on Friday 23rd of December 2005 04:01:34 AM
Old 12-23-2005
Vino,
Thx for the quick reply.
pstree lists all the pids of sub processes with pnames.

anyhow,we need 2 again manually pick-up those pids and kill.right?

after pstree...we can procees that list usoing any of the utilities and pick only the pids and pipe the 2 xargs.

I think this way ll b fine..right?

or pls suggest me if there is a better way.

Thanks,
Venkat (BEA Systems).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use Kill cmd when detect rogue

I'm system administrator and most of our Unix servers in the company host database that are accessed frequently by company employees. One day, one particular Unix server has been reported as being very slow. Upon further investigation using the ps command, we've found a rogue process that is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: agui
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill a process and its childs given pid and userid

I need to write a shell script which would take 2 arguments pid , userid. Then it should kill all the child process under it. If a child process is not killed then it should wait for 1 minute and should kill. can anybody give me the idea to write it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani_g
0 Replies

4. Linux

How to receive results from processes spawned on external machines using SSH

I am trying to get the number of cpus on a farm of linux boxes (about 100 of them) by 'sshing' to each of them and checking their /proc/cpuinfo file. So I have a local script localscript.sh on each of those 100 machines which retrieves the number of cpus in it by using its /proc/cpuinfo file.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waavman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill/pkill process by CMD info.

I have a process that I'd like to kill. Doing a "ps -fu myusername" gives me: UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD myusername 5443 1 0 10:05 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /some/path/crap.sh -s /yet/another/path/parentProcess myusername 5593 5443 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding apache process id that is spawned by a wget

Hi, I have a situation where I am writing a programme that runs a series of long running PHP scripts that can take anything from 20 minutes to 10 hours to execute. I have a solution half implemented where I use via php exec(wget <location to command>) and get the process id back. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrploddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing output of a spawned telnet process

Hi, I'm trying to spawn a telnet process and trying to do some actions in the remote host using expect script. I would like to know how to suppress all the output in order the user using the script should not be able to see any actions done on the remote host. I tried using the "log_user 0"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preparing a list of spawned processes

Hi All I'm currently trying to develop a script which will find the child processes of a process ID already passed to the script. I then need the script to look for spawned processes of these child processes and so on until it can't find any more. For example At the moment, I have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process behavior different when spawned from single terminal

So this one just plain confuses me. I have a bunch of somewhat CPU intensive processes that all communicate using a shared memory region. Some of these programs are threaded and some also change the scheduling to FIFO or round robin. The good news is that everything works as long as I spawn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talkingfennel
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies
PSTREE(1)							   User Commands							 PSTREE(1)

NAME
pstree - display a tree of processes SYNOPSIS
pstree [-a, --arguments] [-c, --compact] [-h, --highlight-all, -Hpid, --highlight-pid pid] [-g] --show-pgids] [-l, --long] [-n, --numeric-sort] [-N, --ns-sortns [-p, --show-pids] [-s, --show-parents] [-S, --ns-changes] [-t, --thread-names] [-T, --hide-threads] [-u, --uid-changes] [-Z, --security-context] [-A, --ascii, -G, --vt100, -U, --unicode] [pid, user] pstree -V, --version DESCRIPTION
pstree shows running processes as a tree. The tree is rooted at either pid or init if pid is omitted. If a user name is specified, all process trees rooted at processes owned by that user are shown. pstree visually merges identical branches by putting them in square brackets and prefixing them with the repetition count, e.g. init-+-getty |-getty |-getty `-getty becomes init---4*[getty] Child threads of a process are found under the parent process and are shown with the process name in curly braces, e.g. icecast2---13*[{icecast2}] If pstree is called as pstree.x11 then it will prompt the user at the end of the line to press return and will not return until that has happened. This is useful for when pstree is run in a xterminal. Certain kernel or mount parameters, such as the hidepid option for procfs, will hide information for some processes. In these situations pstree will attempt to build the tree without this information, showing process names as question marks. OPTIONS
-a Show command line arguments. If the command line of a process is swapped out, that process is shown in parentheses. -a implicitly disables compaction for processes but not threads. -A Use ASCII characters to draw the tree. -c Disable compaction of identical subtrees. By default, subtrees are compacted whenever possible. -G Use VT100 line drawing characters. -h Highlight the current process and its ancestors. This is a no-op if the terminal doesn't support highlighting or if neither the current process nor any of its ancestors are in the subtree being shown. -H Like -h, but highlight the specified process instead. Unlike with -h, pstree fails when using -H if highlighting is not available. -g Show PGIDs. Process Group IDs are shown as decimal numbers in parentheses after each process name. -g implicitly disables com- paction. If both PIDs and PGIDs are displayed then PIDs are shown first. -l Display long lines. By default, lines are truncated to either the COLUMNS environment variable or the display width. If neither of these methods work, the default of 132 columns is used. -n Sort processes with the same ancestor by PID instead of by name. (Numeric sort.) -N Show individual trees for each namespace of the type specified. The available types are: ipc, mnt, net, pid, user, uts. Regular users don't have access to other users' processes information, so the output will be limited. -p Show PIDs. PIDs are shown as decimal numbers in parentheses after each process name. -p implicitly disables compaction. -s Show parent processes of the specified process. -S Show namespaces transitions. Like -N, the output is limited when running as a regular user. -t Show full names for threads when available. -T Hide threads and only show processes. -u Show uid transitions. Whenever the uid of a process differs from the uid of its parent, the new uid is shown in parentheses after the process name. -U Use UTF-8 (Unicode) line drawing characters. Under Linux 1.1-54 and above, UTF-8 mode is entered on the console with echo -e ' 33%8' and left with echo -e ' 33%@' -V Display version information. -Z (SELinux) Show security context for each process. This flag will only work if pstree is compiled with SELinux support. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system BUGS
Some character sets may be incompatible with the VT100 characters. SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1). psmisc 2016-06-18 PSTREE(1)