Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How many UNIX engineers are necessary? Post 93856 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 22nd of December 2005 03:57:32 PM
Old 12-22-2005
For ~2700 PC's, handheld meters, and laptops we have help staff of about 26. Their coverage is from 5:00am MST to 9:00pm MST. There are several guys who drive From HQ in albuquerque to not-too-remote sites, otherwise each remote site has one guy for up to several hundred boxes, plus routers. This is why so many.

They cover from Farmington NM through most of NM to the Texas Gulf Coast - League City TX. About 900 miles one-way.

All of the PC guys have admin access to Windows Servers and all PC's. A few are backup Linux admins - but only on local, remote boxes. They are definitely Plan B admins IMO.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open source mathematical software for scientists & engineers

I'm look for some opinion on mathematical software from any engineers out there. What is the open source application that --in your opinion(s) -- best meets the same requirements as Mathematica or Maple? I'm running FreeBSD & Linux, btw. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Software engineers, real and otherwise

Hi. Rather than go off-topic in https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/45122-comparison-2-files-unix-2.html#post302145451I I started this thread. In addition to continuing the discussion here, there are related threads on this topic at: How do you "get into" the programming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drl
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Lack of Solaris Engineers?

Are more and more companies moving away from Solaris? I am currently helping a company search for a Sr. Solaris Engineer near Philadelphia and it seems as if more candidates are in other UNIX flavors. Is this correct? Where is the best place to search for Solaris Engineers? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickcrocemisi
1 Replies

5. Advertise with Us

Wanted- Linux Application Engineers

Optiver US LLC is a worldwide market maker and derivatives trading firm with offices in Chicago, Amsterdam and Sydney. Attracting very ambitious, talented and results-oriented individuals to become members of a highly selective trading application engineering team. This position is a primary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb S.
0 Replies
cupsctl(8)							    Apple Inc.								cupsctl(8)

NAME
cupsctl - configure cupsd.conf options SYNOPSIS
cupsctl [ -E ] [-U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ --[no-]debug-logging ] [ --[no-]remote-admin ] [ --[no-]remote-any ] [ --[no-]remote- printers ] [ --[no-]share-printers ] [ --[no-]user-cancel-any ] [ name=value ] DESCRIPTION
cupsctl updates or queries the cupsd.conf file for a server. When no changes are requested, the current configuration values are written to the standard output in the format "name=value", one per line. OPTIONS
The following options are recognized: -E Enables encryption on the connection to the scheduler. -U username Specifies an alternate username to use when authenticating with the scheduler. -h server[:port] Specifies the server address. --[no-]debug-logging Enables or disables debug logging in the error_log file. --[no-]remote-admin Enables or disables remote administration. --[no-]remote-any Enables or disables printing from any address, e.g. the Internet. --[no-]remote-printers Enables or disables the display of remote printers shared via the CUPS, LDAP, or SLP protocols. --[no-]share-printers Enables or disables sharing of local printers with other computers. --[no-]user-cancel-any Allows or prevents users from canceling jobs owned by others. EXAMPLES
Display the current settings: cupsctl Enable debug logging: cupsctl --debug-logging Get the current debug logging state: cupsctl | grep '^_debug_logging' | awk -F= '{print $2}' Disable printer sharing: cupsctl --no-shared-printers KNOWN ISSUES
You cannot set the Listen or Port directives using cupsctl. SEE ALSO
cupsd.conf(5), cupsd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 12 December 2012 CUPS cupsctl(8)