Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Can some 1 explain why this behaviour Post 93193 by helpmenow on Friday 16th of December 2005 10:01:10 AM
Old 12-16-2005
Can some 1 explain why this behaviour

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
const int l_test = 999999999;
int *l_ptr = (int*) &l_test;

cout<<"Constant Addr:"<<&l_test<<" Value:"<<l_test<<endl;
cout<<"Pointer Addr:"<<l_ptr<<" Value:"<<*l_ptr<<endl;

*l_ptr = 888888888; // Manipulating the pointer

cout<<"-------------------------------"<<endl;
cout<<"Constant Addr:"<<&l_test<<" Value:"<<l_test<<endl;
cout<<"Pointer Addr:"<<l_ptr<<" Value:"<<*l_ptr<<endl;

return 0;
}

The o/p for this program is

Constant Addr:0012FF7C Value:999999999
Pointer Addr:0012FF7C Value:999999999
-------------------------------
Constant Addr:0012FF7C Value:999999999
Pointer Addr:0012FF7C Value:888888888

please look into the last 2 lines,
the question is : how can same address 0012FF7C have 2 different values 888888888 & 999999999
Thanks , Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Behaviour of default

Hi, If I have the following code : int i=2; switch(i) { case 1 : {};break; default : { printf("d"); };break; case 2 : { printf("2"); };break; } what will be the output? I had an understanding that case statements are taken sequentially so default will be executed. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soorajmu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count behaviour when using su -

Gentlemen, OK, I have an odd issue here perhaps someone can shed some light for me. When running a script as its user/owner the below pause/wait works just fine. When a developer has used su - to assume the username the pause does not happen... This is a HPUX11.00 machine, I have copied the blurb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
1 Replies

3. Programming

Different behaviour of this program

Hi, I have one doubt, in the below program, if I declare char *b inside the main(), the function compiles & runs properly. But at the same time, if I declare it globally it compiles but when we run it, it creates core dump (segmentation fault) both in C & C++. It is not being trapped by catch... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why this behaviour of IF condition?

I have a variable, defndata, which is a number (fetched from a file using awk). I want that if defndata is not initialized (that is its not found in the file using awk), then to execute a block of statements, otherwise execute another block. if then .... else ... fi Now this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -R behaviour

i 've noticed the following difference between freebsd cp and gnu cp from the freebsd cp man page: -R ... If the source_file ends in a /, the contents of the directory are copied rather than the directory itself. ... on gnu cp from the man pagewhile on gnu cp manpage: ‘-r'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

7. Programming

different behaviour in fg and bg

fg = foreground bg = background I have a cobol program that I start with a very simple script. The script is not at fault as it has not changed and the program worked in fg and bg before. I have altered the logging in the program and moved my cursor declare to working storage. The program runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

behaviour of awk

Can someone explain how the below awk simulates cat? pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~$ awk '1' file PSAPSR3 3722000 91989.25 2 98 PSAPSR7 1562000 77000.1875 5 95 PSAPUNDO 92000 4087.5625 4 96 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~$ awk '2' file PSAPSR3 3722000 91989.25 2 98 PSAPSR7 1562000 77000.1875 5 95 PSAPUNDO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

9. Programming

Sort behaviour

I see strange results when sorting with -n options and I wander if somebody can explain it. Input file and two results: $ cat aa 14 -1 11 -1 0 -1 0 $ sort -u aa -1 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: migurus
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ps command different behaviour

Hi Experts, ps command behavior in Redhat is such that it outputs all the output(of long lengths). In Unix the ps command output was limited to only 80 chars. In that if you pipe its output to another command hen the 80 chars restriction wouldn't be there. This 80 char limitation will only be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Albert_Pinto7
14 Replies
FBB::LocalClientSocket(3bobcat) 			     Unix Domain client Socket				   FBB::LocalClientSocket(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::LocalClientSocket - Client Socket connecting to a Server in the Unix Domain SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/localclientsocket> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
An FBB::LocalClientSocket may be constructed to connect to a server process in the Unix Domain. The socket made available by the FBB:Local- ClientSocket may be used to initialize a std::istream and/or std::ostream. The std::istream is used to read information from the server process to which the FBB::LocalClientSocket connects, The std::ostream is used to send information to the server process to which the FBB::LocalClientSocket connects. Since a socket may be considered a file descriptor the avaiable FBB::IFdStream, FBB::IFdStreamBuf, FBB::OFdStream, and FBB::OFdStreamBuf classes may be used profitably here. Note that having available a socket does not mean that this defines the communication protocol. It is (still) the responsibility of the programmer to comply with an existing protocol or to implement a tailor-made protocol. The latter situation implies that the sequence of input- and output operations is defined by the programmer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
FBB::LocalSocketBase CONSTRUCTOR
o LocalClientSocket(): This constructor merely creates a FBB::LocalClientSocket object. Before it can be used, its open() member must be called. o LocalClientSocket(std::string const &name): This constructor initializes an FBB::LocalClientSocket object, using the named Unix Domain socket to connect to the server using the named Unix Domain socket. An FBB::Errno is thrown if the socket could not be constructed. The construction of the socket does not mean that a connection has actually been established. In order to connect to the server, the member connect() (see below) should be used. The copy constructor is not available. MEMBER FUNCTION
o int connect(): This member returns a socket that can be used to communicate with the server process. An FBB::Errno exception is thrown if the con- nection could not be established. o open(std::string const &name): This member function prepares the FBB::LocalClientSocket object, constructed earlier using the default constructor, for use. The named Unix Domain socket is used to connect to the server using the named Unix Domain socket. An FBB::Errno is thrown if the socket could not be constructed. The construction of the socket does not mean that a connection has actually been established. In order to connect to the server, the member connect() should be used. EXAMPLE
See also the localserversocket(3bobcat) example. #include <iostream> #include <bobcat/localclientsocket> #include <bobcat/ifdstream> #include <bobcat/ofdstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main(int argc, char **argv) try { if (argc == 1) { cerr << "Provide filename representing the unix domain socket "; return 1; } LocalClientSocket client(argv[1]); int fd = client.connect(); string line; cout << "Connecting to socket " << fd << endl; IFdStream in(fd); // stream to read from OFdStream out(fd); // stream to write to while (true) { // Ask for a textline, stop if empty / none cout << "? "; if (!getline(cin, line) || line.length() == 0) return 0; cout << "Line read: " << line << endl; // Return the line to the server out << line.c_str() << endl; cout << "wrote line "; // Wait for a reply from the server getline(in, line); cout << "Answer: " << line << endl; } return 0; } catch (Errno const &err) { cerr << err.what() << " " << "Can't connect to " << argv[1] << ", port " << argv[2] << endl; return 1; } FILES
bobcat/localclientsocket - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), ifdstream(3bobcat), ifdstreambuf(3bobcat), clientsocket(3bobcat), localserversocket(3bobcat), localsocketbase(3bobcat), ofd- stream(3bobcat), ofdstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::LocalClientSocket(3bobcat)