Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find files which contain a null character Post 93042 by Bab00shka on Thursday 15th of December 2005 05:17:02 AM
Old 12-15-2005
Hi Mona,

I mean a Hex 00 character.

Cheers
Helen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP a string with NULL Character

Does anyone know how to use grep/egrep to find a string that contains a null character? i.e.: the string looks like this: null0001nullN well I want to be able to : grep '0001N' is there a wildcard character or something that I can put in the grep to include the nulls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weerich
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending a null character to a terminal

I'm testing out some ESMTP AUTH stuff, and it requires that the username and password be on the same line separated by a null character. Does anyone know how to echo the ASCII null character? Thanks, Alex (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

batch delete using find, files with # character

UPDATE: Sorry, disregard this. It did work, I made a mistake; I just shouldn't have been using maxdepth. I do think it is good to know, however, that find | grep '#' | xargs rm will "clean up" funnily named files in a directory. Of course, some of those funnily named files are there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null Character Handling

Hi All, I have a problem with Null values while reading line by line from a text file. I wrote a shell script to read set of file names from a text file line by line, and zipping the each individual file and copying those zip files into some separate directory, and removing the original file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npk2210
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to find last character in each line in all files

Hi, I need to read each line in all files .If last character in each line is not ;(semicolon) then i need to append next line also.Here each line may consists of multiple semicolons(;).but i need to read only last character.I need to achieve this using shell script.And i need to remove tht last... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsurf
7 Replies

6. Programming

Question about NULL Character & fgets()

Assume client send the message " Hello ", i get output such as Sent mesg: hello Bytes Sent to Client: 6 bytes_received = recv(clientSockD, data, MAX_DATA, 0); if(bytes_received) { send(clientSockD, data, bytes_received, 0); data = '\0';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insertion of Null Character while writing into file

I have a huge file with record length around 5000 characters. There is an ETL tool datastage which is writing this data to the file(AIX server). At position 4095 i have seen NULL Character(^@). when i am using this command "head -1 file_nm | sed 's/\000//g'" --- the output is displaying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: issaq84mohd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find record having null value

Hi All My requirement is to find the null values in particular column of a file and reject it in case if it contains null values. But the challenge is that I want a common command which can be used across different file, as the position of the column we need to check for different file may get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first NULL Character in Flat File

We have a flat file with below data : ^@^@^@^@00000305^@^@^@^@^@^@430^@430^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@09079989530As we can see ^@ is Null character in this file I want to remove only the first few null characters before string 00000305 How can we do that, any idea. I want a new file without first few... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
5 Replies
srec_ascii_hex(5)						File Formats Manual						 srec_ascii_hex(5)

NAME
srec_ascii_hex - Ascii-Hex file format DESCRIPTION
This format is also known as the Ascii-Space-Hex or Ascii-Hex-Space format. If you know who invented this format, please let me know. If you have a better or more complete description, I'd like to know that, too. The file starts with a start-of-text (STX or Control-B) character (0x02). Everything before the STX is ignored. Each data byte is represented as 2 hexadecimal characters, followed by an "execution character". The default execution character is a space, although many programs which write this format omit the space character immediately preceding end-of-line. The address for data bytes is set by using a sequence of $Annnn, characters, where nnnn is the 4-character ascii representation of the address. The comma is required. There is no need for an address record unless there are gaps. Implicitly, the file starts a address 0 if no address is set before the first data byte. The file ends with an end-of-text (ETX or Control-C) character (0x03). Everything following the ETX is ignored. It is also possible to specify a running 16-bit checksum using a sequence of $Snnnn, characters, although this usually appears after the ETX character and is thus often ignored. Variant Forms In addition to a space character, the execution character can also be percent (%) called "ascii-hex-percent" format, apostrophe (') or comma (,) called "ascii-hex-comma" format. The file must use the same execution character throughout. If the execution character is a comma, the address and checksum commands are terminated by a dot (.) rather than a comma (,). Size Multiplier In general, binary data will expand in sized by approximately 3.0 times when represented with this format. EXAMPLE
Here is an example ascii-hex file. It contains the data "Hello, World[rq] to be loaded at address 0x1000. ^B $A1000, 48 65 6C 6C 6F 2C 20 57 6F 72 6C 64 0A ^C COPYRIGHT
srec_cat version 1.58 Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Peter Miller The srec_cat program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. This is free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: pmiller@opensource.org.au //* WWW: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/ Reference Manual SRecord srec_ascii_hex(5)