Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How do I detect multicore processors? Post 92745 by Perderabo on Wednesday 14th of December 2005 11:39:05 AM
Old 12-14-2005
One component of the Support Tools is a set of Diagnostics. These Diagnostics can be dangerous. For example, a disk exercizer will scribble on a disk. The Diagnostics are protected by a very powerful password system. HP will claim that this is to protect customers, but the real reason was to pull the rug out from under third party maintenance companies. Adding passwords to the Diagnostics was a controversial move and many customers complained since the Support Tools were "part of HP-UX". HP responded by moving the Support Tools off of the OS Install medium and on to a Support medium. (medium = cd, tape, etc) HP noticed that a lot of customers were not installing the Support Tools. This undermines system reliability, so HP moved them back.

I forget when these moves happened. Before I install, I read the Installation and Upgrade Guide (well just the installation section) and the README Before Installing HP-UX. I always seem to wind up with Support Tools installed, so I'm pretty sure the directions cover it. The last HP-UX system I installed was 11i Version 2 and I remember for sure that STM was on the Install DVD. Bear in mind that I could have opted to not install it. But I always install the whole OS.

You can download Diagnostic and Support Tools for the HP 9000, Integrity Servers, and Intel Itanium 2 Workstations

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual processors

I have two sparcstation20's. One has no hard drive or memory and I want to know if there is a way to take the processor out of it and make the other a dual processor. I know it is possible some how just curious if anyone here can help me make this happen. (Don't know much about sun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbrown
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I determine # of processors ...

I have a console server that runs some form of UNIX/Linux, but I get a bash shell, and I want to determine how many processor (what speed) and them amount of RAM in the system. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbrandeb49
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Quad or Duel Processors

Which hardware configuration gives you the best though put for processing? 1.) Quad CPU at 2 GHZ 2.) Dual CPU at 3 GHZ and More Memory. We currently have setup #1, I want to upgrade the server and I am investigating hardware configurations. Wanted to know if set #1 gives better though put... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Multicore from a different angle

Everyone seemed to be a little stumped by the multicore question I asked earlier this week, so I decided I'd try a different angle. Turns out that on a multicore system HP-UX reports every core as a seperate processor. All the usual commands (ioscan, top, etc.) report two processors for every... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Midcain
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check memory and processors

HI , I have AIX 5.2 ? I believe. I am looking to see how many processors I have and what the Memory is in this box? I know there is a command to run but I am really rusty at this Thanks Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No: of processors

which unix command can be used to know the no: of processors running on that machine... version used:- Solaris 8.0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How give tasks to individual processors in a multicore processor ?

Hi all, Using shell script, how to assign tasks to individual processors in a multicore processor ? For example: If I have 4 processors, I want to give one job to each of the processors. (When I give multiple jobs, it's assigning all the load to a single processor. ) Thanks R (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: habzone2007
5 Replies
ifplugstatus(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   ifplugstatus(8)

NAME
ifplugstatus - A link beat detection tool SYNOPSIS
ifplugstatus [options] [INTERFACE] DESCRIPTION
ifplugstatus is an utility which may be used to detect the link status of a local Linux ethernet device, much in the same way mii-diag, mii-tool and ethtool work. In fact it supports all three different APIs these three tools use. In addition it supports link checking with the IFF_RUNNING interface flag, which most modern drivers (not only ethernet) support, and association status checking with the wireless extension API for WLAN devices. The APIs are tried in the following order: First the newest API: SIOCETHTOOL (aka ethtool API) Second the next older API: SIOCGMIIREG (aka mii-diag API) Than the WLAN API: wireless extension (aka iwconfig API) Followed by the cleanest API: IFF_RUNNING (aka ifconfig API) The oldest API (SIOCPRIV aka mii-tool API) is not tested since it is obsolete. ifplugstatus may be used in shell script since it returns the current status as return value. It is especially useful to detect the avail- able APIs on the used network driver. (Option -v) OPTIONS
You may specify an ethernet device on the command line. Otherwise ifplugstatus will check all available network interfaces. -a | --auto Enable interface automatically before querying (default: off) -h | --help Show help -q | --quiet Decrease verbosity by one. If the verbosity is < 0, no text will be shown, only the return value is relevant; if the verbosity is = 0, a terse status will be shown; If the verbosity is > 0, detailed information about the used API is returned. (By default the ver- bosity is 0) -v | --verbose Increase verbosity by one. See option -q. -V | --version Show version RETURN VALUES
0 Success 1 Failure 2 Link beat detected (only available when an interface is specified) 3 Unplugged (same here) AUTHOR
ifplugd was written by Lennart Poettering <mzvscyhtq (at) 0pointer (dot) de>. ifplugd is available at http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/ SEE ALSO
mii-diag(8), mii-tool(8), ethtool(8), ifplugd(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User ifplugstatus(8)