Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with Links
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with Links Post 9270 by sskb on Wednesday 24th of October 2001 05:26:29 PM
Old 10-24-2001
hi,
links are just like shortcuts for files and folders.
you can make use of them to ease your operations.

you can create links to files or folders with the command ln

the man pages will give you more info.
sskb

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Problem changing owner of symbolic links?

Strangely, chown and chmod don't seem to work on symlinks. In particular, I tried this (as root): # touch foo # ln -s foo mysymlink # chown SOMEUSER mysymlink as well as changing the last line to: # chown -h someuser mysymlink where "-h" is supposed to change the UID of the actualy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noahcowan
1 Replies

2. Linux

Problem with initializing DirectFB by Links

DirectFB-0.9.20 is compiled --with-gfxdrivers=all links-2.1pre15 is compiled with --enable-graphics there is a problem when I am trying to run Links using DirectFB video driver may be my DirectFBs config is not right? video by framebuffer or X works successfully (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
0 Replies

3. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

4. AIX

IHS 6.1 on AIX - problem with symlinks / symbolic links / softlinks

Hello, I got an IHS 6.1 installed and want to publish a directory with an index of files, directories and symlinks / symbolic links / soft links, last ones being created with the usual Unix command "ln -s .... ....". In httpd.conf I've tried following for that directory: Options Indexes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with links programm.

Problem with links programm. Hi! I write sctipt for aytomatic checking into IE stas.html -> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/> <script type="text/javascript" src="newdata.submit()"></script> </head> <body... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beckss
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

7. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
link(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  link(1M)

NAME
link, unlink - link and unlink files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/link existing-file new-file /usr/xpg4/bin/link existing-file new-file /usr/sbin/unlink file DESCRIPTION
The link and unlink commands link and unlink files and directories. Only super-users can use these commands on directories. Use link to create a new file that points to an existing file. The existing-file and new-file operands specify the existing file and newly-created files. See OPERANDS. link and unlink directly invoke the link(2) and unlink(2) system calls, performing exactly what they are told to do and abandoning all error checking. This differs from the ln(1) command. See ln(1). While linked files and directories can be removed using unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See rm(1) and rmdir(1). /usr/xpg4/bin/link If the existing file being hard linked is itself a symbolic link, then the newly created file (new-file) will be a hard link to the file referenced by the symbolic link, not to the symbolic link object itself (existing-file). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: existing-file Specifies the name of the existing file to be linked. file Specifies the name of the file to be unlinked. new-file Specifies the name of newly created (linked) file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of link: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/link +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), rm(1), link(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2002 link(1M)