Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find the help in Linux Post 92682 by zazzybob on Tuesday 13th of December 2005 06:02:50 PM
Old 12-13-2005
www.tldp.org

The Linux Documentation Project - Contains a wealth of guides and howtos.

There is a mirror of this website (even though it will be out of date) bundled with many distros and a load of documentation can usually be found under /usr/share/doc

Cheers
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find in HP,AIX vs Linux

Hi Guys, Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a find command on a Linux box that works as expected: find \( -not -type d -or -not -name log -and -not -name loc -and -not -name usr -and -not -name etc -and -not -name tmp -and -not -name wrk -and -not -name changes -or -prune \) -and -not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bParks
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Find command on Linux

Hi, I am issuing find command below mentioned ways but it givs different count. I don't understand the behaviour. Could any one have any clue? $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -lrt {} \; | wc -l 169 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l 47 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

3. Linux

Find Page size in linux

Hi, How do i find Linux kernel page size using command ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the partition types in linux

How do we find the partition type in Linux? df -T will give me the mounted partition types like ufs, ext3 etc. How do I find out for say a newly added disk to the system? Please advise... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lubu
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to find VMware info from Linux?

Hi, I have two questions about Linux with VMware: (1) How to tell if the system is real or VMware virtual from a Linux platform without root privilege? (root can use 'dmidecode | grep -i vmware). The command 'dmesg | grep -i vmware' run by everyone is not always working for this purpose. (2)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

6. Linux

help in find command in linux

I am trying to find pictures which contains a specific word in the file name. For example any .JPG files that contains "lm" at the beginning or at the middle or at the end of the file name. find / -iname "*.jpg" | ...what should go after the pipe? regards, Moaathe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidwai
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find Linux os series?

hai how to find linux os series (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayd
3 Replies

8. Linux

How to Find out if an HP/Linux uses SAN or not?

Is there a command I can run on my HP /LINUX to see if uses SAN? This command work son AIX ls -al /DEV/rdsk however it does not work on HP Linux. Please let me know? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux find help

I am trying to find "php.ini". So I do the command: find / "php.ini" 2>/dev/null It is giving me thousands of files that do not contain "php.ini". What am I doing wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
LDP(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    LDP(7)

NAME
LDP - Intro to the Linux Documentation Project, with help, guides and documents SYNOPSIS
The Linux Documentation Project (LDP) provides a variety of free documentation resources including guides, FAQs, HOWTOs, and man-pages to the Linux community. AUTHORS
The various documents in the LDP archives are maintained by individual authors, and are listed in the beginning of each HOWTO. If you have any questions or inputs to a document we encourage you to contact the authors directly. WEB PAGES
The LDP has its own dedicated web site as do many of the various translations projects which are linked from the main LDP web site at: http://www.tldp.org/ MAN PAGES
A web page with status information for manual pages and translations is found at: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/ MAILING LISTS
LDP has a number of mailing lists, such as <announce@en.tlpd.org> Announcements from the LDP project <discuss@en.tldp.org> General discussion on the LDP project <docbook@en.tldp.org> Questions about the use of DocBook For subscription information, see the website. If you are interested in DocBook beyond the simple markup of your LDP document, you may want to consider joining one of the OASIS DocBook mailing lists. Please see http://docbook.org/mailinglist/index.html for more information. FILES
Most distributions include the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs in the installation /usr/doc/ (old place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/ (new place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/ (HOWTO files) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/mini/ (mini-HOWTO files) SEE ALSO
info(1), man(1), xman(1x) info pages as read with emacs(1) or info(1) LDP
2001-11-15 LDP(7)