Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian HDD not detected by RHL 9 (or 7.2) Post 92583 by cbkihong on Monday 12th of December 2005 11:54:43 PM
Old 12-13-2005
You may need to recompile your kernel to include SATA support. I'm running on Debian with a self-compiled kernel and SATA support enabled. It works great.

Recent 2.4.x kernels have SATA modules included (but not compiled by default). They may not be available in your RH9 stock kernel. If recompiling the kernel is not comfortable to you, then reinstall your system. Maybe, upgrade to Fedora Core 2 or 3. They should have SATA support compiled builtin the kernel (I think). Even if that doesn't, the kernel version is recent enough that recompiling it will give you a higher chance to succeed.

To the best of my knowledge, the "legacy" mode in the BIOS only matters for drive numbering related issues with OSes like DOS. Still, the OS needs to recognize the drive to use it (Windows 2000 didn't support SATA drives at all so I was forced to upgrade to Wind Blows XP :-( )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual booted RHL 7.3 with Win XP..

Hello all, I'm a no Linux expert! But I perfectly dual booted Win XP with RHL 7.3 on a hp pavilion notebook (model ze5170). All working fantastic now. But I have a minor problem now. I can't get RHL probe the modem, so could not get the internet connection working. The modem is a Conexant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External Modem for RHL 7.3...

Another stupid question... and I can only hope someone can spend a little time answering it... So thats it. I went thru the documentation out there at linmodems.org, trie this and that... read thru this post https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1787 on my favorite forums. And... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

4. Solaris

OS is not detected CPU and memory

Hi, Server AIBVRFCC failed POST while booting on 06/28/2009. Server is up, but OS cannot see two CPUs (CPU 0 and CPU 2) and half of the installed system memory (8 GB is physically installed but only 4 GB is seen by OS now). bld00016:root psrinfo 1 on-line since 06/28/09 05:51:36 3 on-line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumsun
1 Replies

5. Programming

stack smashing detected

Like you can see in the title this is my problem! Here is what appears in the terminal :confused::confused::confused: *** stack smashing detected ***: ./a.out terminated ======= Backtrace: ========= /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x48)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

6. Hardware

iPhone Not being detected

I'm New to the linux world I'm running OpenSuse and as soon as I installed everything was wokring like a charm. and i said to myself I'm so keeping this OpSys! everytime i would plug in my iPhone it would read it as anything else as a filesystem and i was able to go through the device files an etc,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuankyKong
9 Replies

7. Linux

Local NTP on RHL

Hi I have an offline system, no access to the internet. It has a number of windows vms as well as some physical Red hat linux servers. I would like to one of the linux servers as a NTP server, so its local time is used as the reference point for all the other vms. How do I do this. Most of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelseyh1
1 Replies

8. Solaris

No memory detected in Bank 3

Hi. Recently I discovered how to access the 'ok' prompt on my E450. (Thanks DukeNuke2) And so I've been running tests, checking the system out... (since until now I've not known how to get to the 'ok' prompt) And came across 0>INFO: No memory detected in Bank 3 and *** Missing DIMM(s)... as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeoneTwo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed - RHL

Hi, have been given a dell server with redhat linux installed , in my new company on my desk , have not worked much on linux. Was also given a static IP. I dont have a console, but a monitor, that I switch between my desktop and this server. yesterday I wanted to change IP of the server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi123
4 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or power-off the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and storage drivers may still sync. This implies -d. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all hard drives on the system in stand-by mode just before halt or power-off. -p When halting the system, switch off the power. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all hard disks in standby mode just before halt or power-off. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in stand-by mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write cache itself before power-off. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)