Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find the help in Linux Post 92391 by jim mcnamara on Friday 9th of December 2005 05:49:04 PM
Old 12-09-2005
info

info will display longer tutorials about some utilties. Most of the basic commands like cat, cd, are in there as well.

FWIW - if you know some MS-DOS commands, several are based on unix, so you can do basic things just with that knowledge.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find in HP,AIX vs Linux

Hi Guys, Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a find command on a Linux box that works as expected: find \( -not -type d -or -not -name log -and -not -name loc -and -not -name usr -and -not -name etc -and -not -name tmp -and -not -name wrk -and -not -name changes -or -prune \) -and -not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bParks
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Find command on Linux

Hi, I am issuing find command below mentioned ways but it givs different count. I don't understand the behaviour. Could any one have any clue? $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -lrt {} \; | wc -l 169 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l 47 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

3. Linux

Find Page size in linux

Hi, How do i find Linux kernel page size using command ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the partition types in linux

How do we find the partition type in Linux? df -T will give me the mounted partition types like ufs, ext3 etc. How do I find out for say a newly added disk to the system? Please advise... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lubu
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to find VMware info from Linux?

Hi, I have two questions about Linux with VMware: (1) How to tell if the system is real or VMware virtual from a Linux platform without root privilege? (root can use 'dmidecode | grep -i vmware). The command 'dmesg | grep -i vmware' run by everyone is not always working for this purpose. (2)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

6. Linux

help in find command in linux

I am trying to find pictures which contains a specific word in the file name. For example any .JPG files that contains "lm" at the beginning or at the middle or at the end of the file name. find / -iname "*.jpg" | ...what should go after the pipe? regards, Moaathe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidwai
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find Linux os series?

hai how to find linux os series (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayd
3 Replies

8. Linux

How to Find out if an HP/Linux uses SAN or not?

Is there a command I can run on my HP /LINUX to see if uses SAN? This command work son AIX ls -al /DEV/rdsk however it does not work on HP Linux. Please let me know? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux find help

I am trying to find "php.ini". So I do the command: find / "php.ini" 2>/dev/null It is giving me thousands of files that do not contain "php.ini". What am I doing wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
CHRT(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   CHRT(1)

NAME
chrt - manipulate real-time attributes of a process SYNOPSIS
chrt [options] prio command [arg]... chrt [options] -p [prio] pid DESCRIPTION
chrt(1) sets or retrieves the real-time scheduling attributes of an existing PID, or runs COMMAND with the given attributes. Both policy (one of SCHED_OTHER, SCHED_FIFO, SCHED_RR, SCHED_BATCH, or SCHED_IDLE) and priority can be set and retrieved. The SCHED_BATCH policy is supported since Linux 2.6.16. The SCHED_IDLE policy is supported since Linux 2.6.23. The SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK flag for policies SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO is supported since Linux 2.6.31. OPTIONS
-p, --pid operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task -b, --batch set scheduling policy to SCHED_BATCH (Linux specific) -f, --fifo set scheduling policy to SCHED_FIFO -i, --idle set scheduling policy to SCHED_IDLE (Linux specific) -m, --max show minimum and maximum valid priorities, then exit -o, --other set policy scheduling policy to SCHED_OTHER -r, --rr set scheduling policy to SCHED_RR (the default) -R, --reset-on-fork add SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK flag to the SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR scheduling policy (Linux specific) -v, --verbose show status information -h, --help display usage information and exit -V, --version display version information and exit USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command:: chrt prio command [arguments] You can also retrieve the real-time attributes of an existing task: chrt -p pid Or set them: chrt -p prio pid PERMISSIONS
A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the scheduling attributes of a process. Any user can retrieve the scheduling information. NOTES
Only SCHED_FIFO, SCHED_OTHER and SCHED_RR are part of POSIX 1003.1b Process Scheduling. The other scheduling attributes may be ignored on some systems. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
taskset(1), nice(1), renice(1) See sched_setscheduler(2) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AVAILABILITY
The chrt command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. schedutils June 2010 CHRT(1)