Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logging as su from script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers logging as su from script Post 92270 by aniseed on Thursday 8th of December 2005 11:39:00 PM
Old 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgirinath
#! /usr/bin/sh
./profile
su - u02 password # it does not take it this way...
cd /u02/inf
pmcmd -u $username -p $password -s $server.....

here my problems are
after executing the .profile it ececutes su and waits for password........

1) how should I enter the option su as i run the script from my ID specifying su password...
2) will the variables that are defined in my profile stay even though i do su and run command because
$username,$password,$server are in .profile.....

how should I use it...please help...
1) su allows interaction only through the console, probably for security reasons. You might try using supassword | su loginname but I doubt if it will work correctly. Alternatively, you could try using sudo command.
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/UAU/advcomm/sudo.html

2) As per the manual entry for su, if you want to retain the previous environment variables, your command will be
Code:
su username

and if you want to use the environment for the user you are changing to
Code:
su - username

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

logging in Shell script

How to I write to a log file all the output that is displaying on the screen? with time stamp. thankx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we keep our script alive while logging out.

Hi I want to keep my script running even when i am logged off from the box. can we run the script in background which can automatically run every hour? Please advise. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with adding logging to a script

I'm pretty new to bash shell scripting and I was wondering how to add some logging to a script?:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kp400sf
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

logging into another server through script

Hello everybody, I have one small issue... :( When i'm trying to connect another unix box through below script.. #!/usr/bin/bash ssh $1 <<EOF Commands . . exit EOF But getting some syntax error "-sh: syntax error at line 2: `end of file' unexpected". I used to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script logging via Shell script

Hello I wrote a nice Perl script that is intended to find and copy some files when getting a TERM signal. Now I wanted to make a shell script that starts/restarts the Perl script if it crashes/ends because of errors and make a log of all output the Perl Script gives. The problem is that it won't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: al0x
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Perl script logging via Shell script

Hello I wrote a nice Perl script that is intended to find and copy some files when getting a TERM signal. Now I wanted to make a shell script that starts/restarts the Perl script if it crashes/ends because of errors and make a log of all output the Perl Script gives. The problem is that it won't... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging Script!!!

I am trying to write a script that can be called by other scripts to print output to a log. I also want to be able to rotate the log file for this script with a max of 5 logs files. This is what I have so far: #/bin/ksh . /taipso75/scripts/IPSM_run_profile.sh* log=${IPSM_HOME}/log ( echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dougj75
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script - multiple telnets with logging

We had a system outage, and now I am trying to figure out how to get raw data to store in a log file. I have a flat file that has multiple IP port line. I want to telnet to each and log each. But as soon as I connect to the first, it stays there. This is on an HPUX 11.23 system. I dont think... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhradowy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enable logging from within the shell script

Bash on Oracle Linux 6.3 I have a shell script whose output I want to redict to a log file. So, I can simply redirect the output as shown below. # cat myscript.sh #### I actually want some logging mechanism here which will redirect the output to a log file echo 'hello world' #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
prev(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   prev(1)

NAME
prev - show the previous message (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
prev [+folder] [-[no]header] [-help] [-showproc program] [-noshowproc] [options to showproc] OPTIONS
Displays a one-line header before the message. The header consists of the name of the folder and the message number. This is the default behavior. It can be suppressed with the -noheader option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Specifies an alternative program to list messages. The default is to use the program defined by the showproc: entry in the file. As with show, you can give options to the showproc program at the command line. These are passed directly to showproc by prev. The defaults for this command are: +folder defaults to the current folder -header DESCRIPTION
The prev command displays the previous message in the current folder. The previous message is the one before the current message in the folder. The message that is shown becomes the current message. You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument. If you specify a folder, that becomes the current folder. RESTRICTIONS
The prev command is really a link to the show program. As a result, if you make a link to prev and that link is not called prev, your link will act like show instead. To avoid this, add a profile-entry for the link to your MH profile and add the argument prev to the entry. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory showproc: Program to show the message EXAMPLES
The command in the following example displays the previous message in the folder +copylog: $ prev +copylog FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
show(1), next(1) prev(1)