Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting a file based on some condition and naming them Post 92049 by grasper on Wednesday 7th of December 2005 10:27:03 AM
Old 12-07-2005
I'd use perl for something that involved.Something like:-

#!/usr/bin/perl

# Use Perls localtime function if you want, but this is plainer
$date=`date '+%d_%m'`;
chomp($date);

open (INPUTFILE, "<./report_file.rep");
(@file)=<INPUTFILE>;
close INPUTFILE;

@report_names=grep (/RPT/,@file);
@reports=split(/\*\*\*.*?\*\*\*/, join("",@file));

$count=0;
foreach $report_name(@report_names) {
$report_name=~s/(\w+)\W.*/\1/;
chomp($report_name);
$filename="${report_name}_${date}";

open (FILE, ">./$filename");
print FILE "$reports[$count]\n";
close FILE;

$count++;
}

You'll probably need to tweak the 'split' function a bit so each file contains exactly what you want, but that (roughly) should do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the file based on logic

Hello I have a requirement where i need to split the Input fixed width file which contains multiple invoices into multiple files with 2 invoices per file. Each invoice can be identified by its first line's second character which is "H" and sixth character is " " space and the invoice would... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on two patterns

Hi there, I've an input file as follows: *START 1001 a1 1002 a2 1003 a3 1004 a4 *END *START 1001 b1 1002 b2 1004 b4 *END *START 1001 c1 1004 c4 *END (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbirde
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic naming based on file content

I was just thinking if there is a way where i can dynamically rename files based on the actual file content. I have a load of pdf's which have been named wrongly. (We normally put date first, then brief description, then title) So can a script be written wherin, it pulls out the date and title... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on first 8 chars

I have an input file of this format <Date><other data> For example, 20081213aaaaaaaaa 20081213bbbbbbbbb 20081220ccccccccc 20081220ddddddddd 20081220eeeeeeeee 20081227ffffffffffffff The first 8 chars are date in YYYYMMDD formT. I need to split this file into n files where n is the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruthiveeran
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File splitting, naming file according to internal field

Hi All, I have a rather stange set of requirements that I'm hoping someone here could help me with. We receive a file that is actually a concatenation of 4 files (don't believe this would change, but ideally the solution would handle n files). The super-file looks like:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leedor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on context.

I have file as shown below. Would like to split the file based on the context of data. Like, split the content between "---- XXX Info ----" and " ---- YYY Info ----" to a file. When I try using below command, 2nd file contains all the info starting after first "---- YYYY Info ----" instance.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on column values

Hi all, I have a file (say file.txt) which contains comma-separated rows. Each row has seven columns. Only column 4 or 5 (not both) can have empty values like "" in each line. Sample lines So, now i want all the rows that have column 4 as "" go in file1.txt and all the rows that have column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on line numbers

Hello friends, Is there any way to split file from n to n+6 into 1 file and (n+7) to (n+16) into other file etc. f.e I have source pipe delimated file with 20 lines and i need to split 1-6 in file1 and 7-16 in file2 and 17-20 in file 3 I need to split into fixed number of file like 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizzu155
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Consternation of multiple file names based on naming pattern

Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.ACCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.BCCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CCCD"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on a pattern

Hi All, I am having a problem. I tried to extract the chunk of data and tried to fix I am not able to. Any help please Basically I need to remove the for , values after K, this is how it is now A,, B, C,C, D,D, 12/04/10,12/04/10, K,1,1,1,1,0,3.0, K,1,1,1,2,0,4.0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
textutil::split(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 				textutil::split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::split - Procedures to split texts SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::split ?0.7? ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::split provides commands that split strings by size and arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? This command splits the given string into chunks of len characters and returns a list containing these chunks. The argument len defaults to 1 if none is specified. A negative length is not allowed and will cause the command to throw an error. Providing an empty string as input is allowed, the command will then return an empty list. If the length of the string is not an entire multiple of the chunk length, then the last chunk in the generated list will be shorter than len. ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? This command splits the string and return a list. The string is split according to the regular expression regexp instead of a simple list of chars. Note that if you parentheses are added into the regexp, the parentheses part of separator will be added into the result list as additional element. If the string is empty the result is the empty list, like for split. If regexp is empty the string is split at every character, like split does. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[\t \r\n]+". BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
regular expression, split, string CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::split(n)