Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Detecting Network Card in Solaris10 Post 91838 by jimthompson on Tuesday 6th of December 2005 05:22:42 AM
Old 12-06-2005
Question Detecting Network Card in Solaris10

I have an E420 server that has a TPE Slot / NIC installed.

However there is no interface file installed eg /etc/hostname.hme0 or equivalent.

I have placed a private ip entry int the hosts file to accompany the loop back entry i.e.

127.0.0.1 localhost
172.16.0.10 loghost se420

/etc/inet/netmask has no entries and /etc/ethers does not exist

when I try ifconfig -a, the protocol is shown as IPV4 and I get a successful loop back test on 127.0.0.1

However when I try a traceroute to se420, I get the message "Can't find any IPV4 network interfaces"

I have tried a reconfiguration reboot using reboot -- -r but this has made no difference.

I should point out that during these tests, I have not actually connected the TPE port to any network device eg router, switch or even via crossover cable.

Any ideas as to how I get this network up & running.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

network card

I have a UnixWare 2 server that has an ISA 3Com NIC that has just a BNC connector on it. I want to remove this and install an ISA 3Com NIC that has a BNC/RJ45 connector. What steps do I have to go through to successfully complete this? Thye are almost the exact same cards except for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cparks
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Card Help

I have been having trouble with my sis900 neytwork card in slacwkare linux. I tried to modprobe the sis900, it didnt give me any errors but it didnt load it. so I put in a realtek 8139 network card and tried it too. These are the errors i get with the two cards when trying to do insmod on either of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Fridgerator
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Detecting NIC in Solaris10

I have an E420 server that has a TPE Slot / NIC installed. However there is no interface file installed eg /etc/hostname.hme0 or equivalent. I have placed a private ip entry int the hosts file to accompany the loop back entry i.e. 127.0.0.1 localhost 172.16.0.10 loghost se420 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Detecting NIC in Solaris10

I have an E420 server that has a TPE Slot / NIC installed. However there is no interface file installed eg /etc/hostname.hme0 or equivalent. I have placed a private ip entry int the hosts file to accompany the loop back entry i.e. 127.0.0.1 localhost 172.16.0.10 loghost se420 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

5. SCO

lan card not detecting

hi all i have installed SCO 5.0.5 on a "Netfinity 5000" IBM server. But the OS is not detecting the lan card. how can i detect it.... help and thanks in advance . bidhayak (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bidhayakm
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell which network card is which?

I have three network cards in my unix box. I need to figure out which card corresponds to an assigned IP address. If there some command in unix I can use to make an ethernet interface blink? Any advice would be appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

7. Solaris

network driver not detecting in solaris 10 X86 on HPDL380G5 Server

I have installed solaris10 x86 on HP DL380 G5 Server, but network card is not getting detected. i have installed the network driver, downloaded from the following link HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Server series- Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center Can any one suggest me how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.chinnu
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to load a Sunix/Initio Sata card on Solaris10/x86

Hi All, Anyone has configured a Sunix Sata S150 card (AKA Initio Inic-1622) + disk in a Solaris10/x86 05/09 system? I wondered what to do to get it running. The Sunix card does not come with a Solaris driver ;-( The card is seen by the system as the prtconf -v output shows (see below at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: longwave
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux Red Hat AS3 Network card is not detecting ...

Dear Expert, I 've installed Redhat linux AS3, My machine having Inbuild network card (Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection). I've downloaded e1000e-2.3.2 from Intel site, but its not working for my machine. I'm unable to configure the Network. ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed Faiz
0 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. The loopback interface lo0 is created at boottime, it always exists and cannot be destroyed with ifconfig(8). Additional loopback interfaces can be created by using the ifconfig(8) create command. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d . The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. BSD
September 3, 2006 BSD