Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the 'whatis' command? Post 9183 by mischiefdemon on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 04:01:14 PM
Old 10-23-2001
what is the 'whatis' command?

I am kind of new with Unix and I really need some help. Can you please tell me what the 'whatis' command is? and what does it do?

Let's say that I have a file which I want to delete, what command will I need to use?

If I have a directory that I want to delete all files from what command do I use?

What is the difference from deleting a directory, and deleting a directory and all its subdirectories beneath it? What command do I need to use?

Thankx,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed 's/~/\^J/g' how to get "^J" on same line as rest of the command.

when ever i type it in it always looks like so echo $file | sed 's/~/\ /g' how can i get it on one line? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
6 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'find' command question

my solaris text talks about the 'find' command... it further goes to talk about an "action" used with the find command. I am completely confused as to what the {} do with the find comand. the explanation is this: "A set of braces, {}, delimits where the file name is passed to the command from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI 'go to position #' command

I apologize is this is somewhere else but I did look.... Is there a command to goto position # x within the VI editor? I've seen where you can search for a particular char string but I need to go to position 200 within a record (tired of counting positions)...:) Thanks in advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man - display online manual pages SYNOPSIS
man [-antkf] [-M path] [-s section] title ... DESCRIPTION
Man displays the online manual pages for the specified titles in the specified sections. The sections are as follows: 1 User Commands Generic commands such as ls, cp, grep. 2 System Calls Low level routines that directly interface with the kernel. 3 Library Routines Higher level C language subroutines. 4 Device Files Describes devices in /dev. 5 File Formats Formats of files handled by various utilities and subroutines. 6 Games It's not UNIX without an adventure game. 7 Miscellaneous Macro packages, miscellaneous tidbits. 8 System Utilities Commands for the System Administrator. 9 Documents Larger manuals explaining some commands in more detail. (If you are new to Minix then try man hier, it will show you around the file system and give you many pointers to other manual pages.) By default, man will try the following files in a manual page directory for the command man -s 1 ls: cat1/ls.1 cat1/ls.1.Z man1/ls.1 man1/ls.1.Z Files in the man[1-8] directories are formatted with nroff -man. Those in man9 are formatted with nroff -mnx. Files in the cat? directo- ries are preformatted. Files with names ending in .Z are decompressed first with zcat (see compress(1)). The end result is presented to the user using a pager if displaying on the screen. For each manual page directory in its search path, man will first try all the subdirectories of the manual page directory for the files above, and then the directory itself. The directory /usr/man contains the standard manual pages, with manual pages for optional packages installed in a subdirectory of /usr/man, with the same structure as /usr/man. The directory /usr/local/man contains manual pages for locally added software. By default /usr/local/man is searched first, then /usr/man. A title is not simply used as a filename, because several titles may refer to the same manual page. Each manual page directory contains a database of titles in the whatis(5) file that is created by makewhatis(8) from the NAME sections of all the manual pages. A title is searched in this database and the first title on a whatis line is used as a filename. OPTIONS
The options may be interspersed with the titles to search, and take effect for the titles after them. -a Show all the manual pages or one line descriptions with the given title in all the specified sections in all the manual directories in the search path. Normally only the first page found is shown. -n Use nroff -man to format manual pages (default). -t Use troff -man to format manual pages. -f Use whatis(1) to show a one line description of the title from the whatis(5) file. -k Use apropos(1) to show all the one line descriptions of the title anywhere in the whatis(5) files (implies -a). -M path Use path as the search path for manual directories. -s section Section is the section number the page is to be found in, or a comma separated list of sections to use. Normally all sections are searched. The search is always in numerical order no matter what your section list looks like. A single digit is treated as a sec- tion number without the -s for compatibility with BSD-style man commands. ENVIRONMENT
MANPATH This is a colon separated list of directories to search for manual pages, by default /usr/local/man:/usr/man. PAGER The program to use to display the manual page or one line descriptions on the screen page by page. By default more. FILES
/usr/man/whatis One of the whatis(5) databases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), troff(1), more(1), whatis(1), makewhatis(1), catman(1), whatis(5), man(7). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MAN(1)