Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find the exact pattern from a file? Post 91722 by grasper on Monday 5th of December 2005 06:08:59 AM
Old 12-05-2005
If mdbase is the end of the field or word separated from whatever follows by whitespace you can use:-

grep "/backup/surjya/mdbase\>" xmldir.conf_backup | wc -w

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Exact word in file

Hi ALL, I want to search one string “20 “ i.e 20 with space. But my file where I am searching this “20 “ contain some data like 120 before image file truncated 220 Reports section succeeded 20 Transaction database .prd stopped 220 Reports section completed. When I search for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevan Salunke
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find exact text in file ?

I have file named shortlist , and it contains this: 2233|charles harris |g.m. |sales |12/12/52| 90000 9876|bill johnson |director |production|03/12/50|130000 5678|robert dylan |d.g.m. |marketing |04/19/43| 85000 2365|john woodcock |director |personnel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cecko
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file with exact access date

Hi I have to write command that find the files/dirs in the directory with access date equal to timestamp. ie or to be more precise I need to find files which are not equal to given timestamp drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 4096 May 31 2007 tmp so need to have something like find . *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep exact pattern from file

Contents of my file is: DI DI DIR PHI I want to extract only DI. I am using below command grep -w DI <file> but it is also extracting DI. Can i use any other command to extract exact pattern where '[' does not have special meaning (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find exact path of a file/directory

Hello Folks, A wrapper takes an argument of file or directory name. I want to allow paths that reside within the current directory only. Can simply discard the paths like "/A" & "../" as they go outside the current by looking at the path beginning. How to validate this one: A/../../../b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?

Hi I want know "How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?" Thanks, Tushar Joshi:) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tusharjoshi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo exact xml tag from an exact file

Im stumped on this one. Id like to echo into a .txt file all names for an xml feed in a huge folder. Can that be done?? Id need to echo <name>This name</name> in client.xml files. $path="/mnt/windows/path" echo 'recording names' cd "$path" for names in $path than Im stuck on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: graphicsman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the exact pattern

My Input : Hi editor this is the exact pattern which we looking for the previous patternmatch My code: awk '/pattern/ { print a } { a = $0 }' Current output : exact previous (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)