Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers increasing ufs file system size in solaris Post 91301 by BG_JrAdmin on Wednesday 30th of November 2005 10:33:15 PM
Old 11-30-2005
ufsdump | ufsrestore disk to disk

Can you do a ufsdump | ufsrestore disk to disk on different size slices conatining root?

source root partition which contains usr, var, and /. and is 2GB size.
If I do a ufsdump | ufsrestore to the new disk, and then make it boot from the new disk. will this work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size limitations with ufs/disk suite on Solaris 8?

I tried to build a 1.3 TB volume with disk suite, and recieved an error (don't remember the exact verbage, it was very late). It only built a 1 TB volume. newfs completed without error. I rebuilt the volume to be just under 1TB, and all was fine. Is there a limitation with disk suite, or ufs, that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris File system question ( UFS )

Hello all, I'm ufs file system, how can u use the same disk in another machine with the data in tact? to make it clear, I've an ufs FS in a mount point /file1 ( 8GB). now they decide to reintall the OS. After the reinstall, how can i get the same data as it is? will mounting the disk as /file1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

increasing file system

Hi, on /dev1 I have 50Gb, on /dev2 I have 5Gb. How can I give the 50Gb to /dev2 and give back 5Gb to /dev1. Many thanks. PS : OS is AIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

4. AIX

Increasing File Size on AIX

Hi I am a bit green to AIX - but when our backup operator tries to do a restore from one AIX box to another, he get's the error: 'A file cannot be larger than the value set by ulimit' I am wondering what is the impact of increasing the AIX filesize limit of 2 gb to unlimited. And how would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rosie C
1 Replies

5. Solaris

increase root file system size in solaris

Hi frnz, Need an urgent help... I have installed solaris 8 in a sunblade workstation with 136GB hdd. While installation it has taken a default filesystem size as 1.37GB for root. AFtr completing the installation i have extended the root partition to 130GB. But still df output shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
4 Replies

6. Solaris

increasing file system size

Hi Can anyone explain me how to increase the filesystem size. We can do it when the system is running? It needs an reboot? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
8 Replies

7. Linux

Increasing total data size per file system request for block drivers

Hi All, I am writing a block driver for a 2GB SD card where i get the total amount of data per request as follows: struct request *req; uint card_addr,total_bytes; struct request_queue *rq = BlkDev->queue; req = elv_next_request(rq); .. .. card_addr = req->sector*512;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manger - Database Replicas Question - Benefits of Increasing Default Size?

Hey all! I was hoping someone knew anything about this one... I know with Solaris Volume Manager the default Database Replica size is 8192 blocks (4MB approximately) Now I know you can increase this amount but is there any point? The reason I am asking this is that I've setup mirroring on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Help with increasing file system size in Sun OS 5.9

Hi, I have recently taken up to support these SunOS 5.9 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 boxes and got a request to increase the size of /backup01 as its getting filled up quickly and can't play much on it as these are production servers. As I have no idea about how to do this, can anyone let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase /tmp file system size dynamically in Solaris zone

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of /tmp file system from 512m to 1024m dynamically without reboot in solaris zone # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on zones/zone1 11G 1.0G 10.0G 10% / /dev 11G 1.0G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)