Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing from unix with lp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing from unix with lp Post 9129 by LivinFree on Tuesday 23rd of October 2001 07:43:54 AM
Old 10-23-2001
try man fold

If that utility is installed on your system, I think it'll be exactly what you want. You can cat the file out, pipe it throught fold (I think the syntax woiuld be like fold -80, for 80 lines. The man page is more accurate than I am, though), then send it to lp.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Problems in unix ... ( Bar-cdoe - Ip Printing)

Hi guys ... i need ur help with some printing problem in unix ... first prob. : i wanna print from my NCR unix to an Win NT , Ip based printing server ( HP JetDirect ) . My issue , is it possible to print directly to an Ip address from unix ? How do i make it work to get any results ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuickSilver
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO Unix 5.0 printing

Iv'e been having a problem with printing that driving me CRAZY! I am trying to print a large file about 200-300 pgs, but the print job reaches a certain point then stops, the job does'nt finish. Anyone have any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpadron
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing under UNIX

Hi All As UNIX newbie, (I know Open VMS very well) I have the following question: If I use the lpr command for printing, I normally specify the printer name an the file I want to print. So far so good. Once this is done I can than check with the lpstat command the status of my printjob, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duc
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Printing

Greetings. Got a problem I'm working on, not that familiar with UNIX to be honest. We're having some issues printing from a UNIX Server, hoping someone can help. Here's the situation: We have remote offices that use Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client to connect to a Windows 2003 Terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MPW
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Printing from unix to windows.

Hi, This issue is killing me. I'm looking to get advise on setting up a remote printer in unix "HP-UX" which will print to a printer which sits remotely connected to a windows 2000 server. I guess I'm looking for an idiots guide - any assistance you may offer will be gratefully received. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmaths
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Printing

Hi, I need to print PDF from Unix command line on couple of printers like Lexmark T644PS, HP LJ4100DTN connected to Windows Print Server. I need options of mentioning the printer name and choosing tray number for printing. I was successfull in FTPing PDF files to printer but i could not find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snvijaysankar
2 Replies

7. SCO

Unix Printing

Hi, The code is generating a file of 180 lines, I can check that with vi, but when I am executing the following command for duplex printing , it is printing 4 pages which include 2 blank pages 2 & 4 (page no). $ lp -d printer -0 'land,double,lpi=8,length=90' filename It is expected to print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsd
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Unix printing : jobs hangs in queue - printing via lp versus hpnpf

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name (hostname and ipadres are in /etc/hosts). This is the configuration file : Code: root@sco1 # cat configurationBanner: on:AlwaysContent types: simpleDevice:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with printing in UNIX

I have a file that looks like below: a:b:c d e f g h u:f:j e:k:c0 d9 e1 x55 h789 p:d:hh dtyu gasd lrtyu oqa Is there a way to print is as given below: a:b:c d e f g h u:f:j e:k:c0 d9 e1 x55 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing a document in UNIX

Hi, I would like to know the command to print a document with portait option. Note : I used the below command, however I am not getting any output and it is blocking the printer queue. lp -d Dubprint -o portrait Adhoc_stmt Also, how can I see the default printer settings and how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
1 Replies
FOLD(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   FOLD(1)

NAME
fold -- fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The fold utility is a filter which folds the contents of the specified files, or the standard input if no files are specified, breaking the lines to have a maximum of 80 columns. The options are as follows: -b Count width in bytes rather than column positions. -s Fold line after the last blank character within the first width column positions (or bytes). -w width Specify a line width to use instead of the default 80 columns. Width should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using expand(1) before using fold. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of fold as described in environ(7). SEE ALSO
expand(1), fmt(1) STANDARDS
The fold utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
If underlining is present it may be messed up by folding. BSD
August 2, 2004 BSD