Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: emacs as a line editor
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers emacs as a line editor Post 90945 by annemar on Tuesday 29th of November 2005 02:14:13 AM
Old 11-29-2005
emacs as a line editor

hello,
I would like to use emacs as a line editor (I use emacs as editor).
I try "set -o emacs" but I have nothing.
Thank you for any help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs Editor

hi i am using mandrake linux How do i run the emacs editor ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srekcus
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making Emacs to show line number

Hi all How can I make Emacs to show the line numbers at the left or right as a default. This might help me to quickly jump to a given line. Thanks SS (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

init file for emacs editor

I use emacs editor. I would like to change backup strategy. I don't know how to change some variables' values in .emacs file : make-backup-files and so on. Thank you for any advices. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
0 Replies

4. Programming

Emacs line indentation

Hi. I'm writing a document in Python, so indentation is crucial. I want to indent a whole section by exactly one tab. Any idea how to go about this? I'm using terminal emacs (no mouse input) Thanks for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add text after a particular line on vi editor

hi suppose i have file 0f 10 lines. i want to add something after 8 line. may i append it anyhow without opening file. eg. i can appned at last. echo text >> file Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vim editor -> uncounted new line

Hi, I entered the following text in a new file through vim: "Four score and seven years ago" saved and exit. When I looked at the file size, it was 31B, although is supposed to be 30. I reedited the file (again with vim) to check for errors, but everything seemed fine. When I opened the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prostiiinet
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi Editor - How to paste the line concatenated with current line

I generally use yy to copy a line and then p to paste the line at end of current line. But is there a way to paste the copied line in concatenation with the current line with out going to next line. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs; lisp interpreter, editor and what the hell else?

I can't actually remember how I got to this point but I deducted that Emacs must be an interpreter because you have to run w3m in it which I think is written in Lisp. I did read the manual that ships with Emacs. Is that all there is to Emacs? A lisp interpreter that is also a editor? Is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies
MAILCAP.ORDER(5)                                               Order Mailcap Entries                                              MAILCAP.ORDER(5)

NAME
/etc/mailcap.order - the mailcap ordering specifications DESCRIPTION
The order of entries in the /etc/mailcap file can be altered by editing the /etc/mailcap.order file. Each line of that file specifies a package and an optional mime type. Mailcap entries that match will be placed in the order of this file. Entries that don't match will be placed later. Example mime-support:*/* gv:application/postscript netscape:text/html less:text/* emacs:text/* The above would make any entries provided by the mime-support package (as found in the /usr/lib/mime/packages directory) take priority over everything else. The gv package will be used over anything else when it comes to postscript documents. Netscape will be used for any html documents and less will be used for any remaining text documents. However, since neither netscape or less provide for editing documents, any edit or compose actions will fall through to the emacs rules. After modifying this file, be sure to run /usr/sbin/update-mime (as root) to propagate the changes into the /etc/mailcap file. Remember that this files takes package names and not executable names. If you want to define rules that reference specific programs, the best way is to include them in ~/.mailcap or the user section of the /etc/mailcap file. LIMITATIONS
There is currently no way to break out a certain type from a wildcard rule. If, for example, both xv and gimp were to specify "image/*" rules, it isn't possible to use xv for gif images but use gimp for jpeg images. Also, I would like to add the ability to specify certain actions in the rules. For example, if netscape were to have an edit rule but I wanted to use emacs for editing/creating html documents, I could place a line like emacs:text/* action=edit|compose before the netscape entry. The update-mime program would then spit out entries such that netscape view rule comes before the emacs view rule but have the netscape edit rule comes after the emacs edit rule. SEE ALSO
mailcap(5) run-mailcap(1) update-mime(8) AUTHOR
The mailcap.order specification was written by Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com> Debian Project 16th Aug 1998 MAILCAP.ORDER(5)