Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get the value of a variable? Post 90740 by surjyap on Sunday 27th of November 2005 06:42:15 AM
Old 11-27-2005
how to get the value of a variable?

Hi,
I have written the following code and trying to get the value of the variable mylist.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
mylist=""
conffile=xmldir.conf
while read line
do
echo $line
mylist=""
ATTR=`echo $line | awk -F"," '{ print $2 }'`
echo -$ATTR-
if [ "${ATTR}" = "eof" -o "${ATTR}" = "" -o "${ATTR}" = "noeof" ]
  then
  drname=`echo $line | awk -F"," '{ print $1 }'`
  mylist="$mylist $drname"
fi
done < $conffile
echo $mylist

But when I am not getting the value of mylist.Yes one more thing the xmldir.conf is a flat file of specific format. So how it can be resolved.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
withlist(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       withlist(8)

NAME
withlist - General framework for interacting with a mailing list object. SYNOPSIS
withlist [options] listname [args ...] There are two ways to use this script: interactively or programmatically. Using it interactively allows you to play with, examine and mod- ify a MailList object from Python's interactive interpreter. When running interactively, a MailList object called `m' will be available in the global namespace. It also loads the class MailList into the global namespace. Programmatically, you can write a function to operate on a MailList object, and this script will take care of the housekeeping (see below for examples). In that case, the general usage syntax is: OPTIONS
-l, --lock Lock the list when opening. Normally the list is opened unlocked (e.g. for read-only operations). You can always lock the file after the fact by typing `m.Lock()' Note that if you use this option, you should explicitly call m.Save() before exiting, since the interpreter's clean up procedure will not automatically save changes to the MailList object (but it will unlock the list). -i, --interactive Leaves you at an interactive prompt after all other processing is complete. This is the default unless the -r option is given. -r [module.]callable, --run [module.]callable This can be used to run a script with the opened MailList object. This works by attempting to import module (which must already be accessible on your sys.path), and then calling callable from the module. callable can be a class or function; it is called with the MailList object as the first argument. If additional args are given on the command line, they are passed as subsequent positional args to the callable. Note that module. is optional; if it is omitted then a module with the name callable will be imported. The global variable `r' will be set to the results of this call. -a, --all This option only works with the -r option. Use this if you want to execute the script on all mailing lists. When you use -a you should not include a listname argument on the command line. The variable `r' will be a list of all the results. -q, --quiet Suppress all status messages. -h, --help Print a small help text and exit EXAMPLES
Here's an example of how to use the -r option. Say you have a file in the Mailman installation directory called `listaddr.py', with the following two functions: def listaddr(mlist): print mlist.GetListEmail() def requestaddr(mlist): print mlist.GetRequestEmail() Now, from the command line you can print the list's posting address by running the following from the command line: % bin/withlist -r listaddr mylist Loading list: mylist (unlocked) Importing listaddr ... Running listaddr.listaddr() ... mylist@myhost.com And you can print the list's request address by running: % bin/withlist -r listaddr.requestaddr mylist Loading list: mylist (unlocked) Importing listaddr ... Running listaddr.requestaddr() ... mylist-request@myhost.com As another example, say you wanted to change the password for a particular user on a particular list. You could put the following function in a file called `changepw.py': from Mailman.Errors import NotAMemberError def changepw(mlist, addr, newpasswd): try: mlist.setMemberPassword(addr, newpasswd) mlist.Save() except NotAMemberError: print 'No address matched:', addr and run this from the command line: % bin/withlist -l -r changepw mylist somebody@somewhere.org foobar AUTHOR
Author of Mailman is the Mailman Cabal, see http://www.list.org/ for information. This manpage is written for Debian by Bernd S. Brentrup <bsb@debian.org>. SEE ALSO
Mailman documentation on http://www.list.org/ and in /usr/share/doc/mailman. 2004-03-24 withlist(8)