Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky Sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky Sed Post 90413 by Perderabo on Tuesday 22nd of November 2005 11:42:31 AM
Old 11-22-2005
Look at this from your last line:
-e 's/|NULL|/|/g' -e 's/|*NULL|/|/g'
If I understand what you want, you should be doing
-e 's/|NULL|/||/g' -e 's/|*NULL|/||/g'

Except that first command handles stuff also handled by the second command. Remember that * means zero or more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Tricky one...

Here's my problem: I have a laptop running Windows XP Pro with no internal CD or Floppy drives. I want to install Linux on it. I don't care about the Windows XP Pro installation, in fact I would like to install Linux over the entirety of the HD. However I cannot boot from any external CD drive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saabir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tricky Quotation Question

Hi, I am at a point in my script where I defined the number of the command line parameter I would like to set a variable equal to: parameter_number=14 I would then like to set a variable equal to the correct parameter: variable=$parameter_number The issue here is that {} is required... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tricky file output

I have a following file, I want to output 2 files. Is that easy to do? Output 1 output2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbchen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky data manipulation...

Hi everyone.. I am new here, hello.. I hope this doesn't come across to you folks as a stupid question, I'm somewhat new to scripting :) I'm seeking some help in finding a way to manipulate data output for every two characters - example: numbers.lst contains the following output:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: explicit
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed or awk question

Hello everyone, unfortunately I am no unix nor scripting guru, which is why I am asking for help here. I am trying to reformat a .csv file using sed or awk which has the following format: a,b,C-D-E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O-P-Q-R-S,t,u v,w,X-Y,z,a It's basically a 5-field text file which has an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another tricky sed or awk question

This post is in reference to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137977-tricky-sed-awk-question-post302428154.html#post302428154 I am trying to go the opposite direction now: I have the following file: a,b,C,f,g a,b,D,f,g a,b,E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O,t,u m,n,P,t,u m,n,Q,t,u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed tricky problem

Hi, I have a file which contains two strings: AAAAA and BBBBB I have two variables in my script: DATE="03/21/2010" aDate="20100321" I need to replace string AAAAA with variable $DATE and BBBBB with $aDate. Here is what I do sed "s/AAAAA/$DATE/" $BASIC_TMPLT | sed "s/BBBBB/$aDate/" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axed
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Tricky egrep

Hi folks! My first post here. I'm working on a script that retrieves a range of files from a list depending on a range of time. UPDATE: I've seen it could be difficult to read all this thing, so I'll make a summarize it.. How come I do this and take a result.. grep "..\:.." lista.new |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl0x
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Tricky situation getting IP address

Hi, I have a multihomed system HP-UX with two NIC cards having IP address 10.9.0.13 & 10.9.0.45 I have two weblogic servers running one listening on "10.9.0.13" and the other on "10.9.0.45" Given a PID how is it possible to extract the IP Address that the weblogic server is using and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed required

Hi All I need to put some sed together for a task and its a bit advanced for me, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here could help. I have a csv file with content like this - "","abcde","","" "'","abcde","","" "","","","1234" "'e'","","","" I need to remove any single quotes that fall... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
17 Replies
XmGrabShell(3)							  LessTif Manuals						    XmGrabShell(3)

NAME
XmGrabShell - Motif-compatible popup shell widget which grabs the keyboard and pointer SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/GrabShell.h> XmGrabShell XmCreateGrabShell DESCRIPTION
XmGrabShell X RESOURCES
Name Class Type Default Access --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- XmNbottomShadowColor XmCBottomShadowColor Pixel NULL CSG XmNbottomShadowPixmap XmCBottomShadowPixmap BottomShadowPixmap NULL CSG XmNgrabStyle XmCGrabStyle Int 1 CSG XmNoverrideRedirect XmCOverrideRedirect Boolean NULL CSG XmNownerEvents XmCOwnerEvents Boolean NULL CSG XmNsaveUnder XmCSaveUnder Boolean NULL CSG XmNshadowThickness XmCShadowThickness HorizontalDimension NULL CSG XmNtopShadowColor XmCTopShadowColor Pixel NULL CSG XmNtopShadowPixmap XmCTopShadowPixmap TopShadowPixmap NULL CSG XmNbottomShadowColor XmNbottomShadowPixmap XmNgrabStyle XmNoverrideRedirect XmNownerEvents XmNsaveUnder XmNshadowThickness XmNtopShadowColor XmNtopShadowPixmap CLASS HIERARCHY
Object(3) Rect(3) UnNamedObj(3) Core(3) Composite(3) Shell(3) WMShell(3) VendorShell(3) XmGrabShell(3) CALLBACKS
CONVENIENCE FUNCTIONS
SEE ALSO
LessTif Project April 1998 XmGrabShell(3)