Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk- catching the last two chars Post 90298 by grasper on Monday 21st of November 2005 12:06:33 PM
Old 11-21-2005
I can't think of anything in awk I'm afraid. I would have thought it'd be custom made for that job (in fact I'm sure someone who knows more will give you a very simple command, but I've drawn a blank), but with sed you could use:

sed 's/^.*\(..\)$/\1/' input_file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing " " chars using Awk

HI Friends, I am trying to elliminate the " " characters from the word: "hello" using awk. I need the output to be just = hello (without " " chars). Is there any way to do this ? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

4. Programming

Signal catching

Hi! I want to catch all signals that my program receives print their name and then execute the default handler. Can you help me on that? I've tried the following code: #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <signal.h> void (*hnd)(int i); char signals = { "SIGHUP",... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catching errors

Hi, I'm writing a scheduling script which will co-ordinate the launching of scripts. This script is scheduling based on an input file, and launches the appropriate scripts at the right times. The only issue I'm having is: - if a script dies, or even has a syntax error, I want to catch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print count for chars recurrence

input: 123456 1111 124567 2222 125678 3333 234567 aaaa 456789 abcd awk logic: - read lines for recurring 1st 2 chars of the 1st field - if recurrence detected count up and print value output: 1 123456 1111 2 124567 2222 3 125678 3333 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/SED: handle max chars in a line

Hi all, I hope you guys can help me. I prefer SED/AWK solutions if possible. For my shame it didn't work for me :o ISSUE: :wall: 1\3 1/$4\@7\ 1234567890123456789\ 1234567890123456789,\ 1234567890123456789\ 123456789012 12345 1234567890123456789\ 1234567890123456789,\ 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK splitting a string of equal parts of 500 chars

Hi , can someone help me how to make an AWK code for splitting a string of equal parts of 500 chars in while loop? Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-cdu] [-f fields] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the standard input comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the standard output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Don't output lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignore the first fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adja- cent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Don't output lines that are repeated in the input. If additional arguments are specified on the command line, the first such argument is used as the name of an input file, the second is used as the name of an output file. The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 6, 2007 BSD