Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substituting variable with current time Post 90184 by mschwage on Sunday 20th of November 2005 12:56:10 AM
Old 11-20-2005
How about this?

#!/usr/bin/ksh
while true
do
IDT=`date +"%OH%M%S"`
echo ${IDT}
sleep 1
done

-Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting with value of variable in Sed

Hi, I have a program in which i have to substitute a TAG in a file with the value of a variable. Code Snippet: ---------------- myvar=1234 sed 's/_TAG_/$myvar/' infile outfile When I run this command, the _TAG_ in the "infile" is substituted with "$myvar" but NOT the value "1234"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting variable value in AWK /start/,/stop/

Hi all u brilient people on the forum... I am trying to call the variable value in awk command for search pattern /start/,/stop/ but i am nt able to do this .... wat i did is ..i have created two variable YESTERDAY and TODAY and passed the y'day n 2'days dates in it...like this ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: whomi
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substituting variable value in AWK

Hi All, my requirement is as below. I need to replace a value in a particular column with a substitution variable(date value) and modified value of the current column value in the same position. for ex. i have a record like 02;aaaa;bbbbb;cccccc;dddddd;123456789;hhhhh;12hs;asdf ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable is not substituting values

Hi All, OS HPUX 11.11 I am using following script to take controlfile backup. I have used SID variable to hold "ffin1" value, which I again subsitute in "'/db/ffin1/home/oraffin1/$SID_$wdate.ctl'" command. Well, after running this, SID variable does not subsittue it's value, while wdate... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting a shell variable in sed

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how to use a shell variable inside my sed command. I just want to remove a certain part of a path. I've tried three different combinations and none of them work. Here are the three combinations: echo $file | sed 's/'$test'//' echo $file | sed "s/$test//"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with sed and substituting a string with special characters in variable

Hey guys, I know that title is a mouthful - I'll try to better explain my struggles a little better... What I'm trying to do is: 1. Query a db and output to a file, a list of column data. 2. Then, for each line in this file, repeat these values but wrap them with: ITEM{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error while substituting variable using sed..

I am using script for substitute one variable with another variable like below... below code works fine... sed 's/'$sub_fun'/'$To_sub'/g' But when i run the same code from the script getting below errors.. sed: -e expression #1, char 7: unterminated `s' command please help....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current date time of EDT in IST time

Hi Folks, My server time is in EDT. And i am sending automated mails from that server in which i need to display the current date time as per IST (GMT+5:30). Please advice how to display the date time as per IST. IST time leads 9:30 mins to EDT. and i wrote something like below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get the time exactly 24hrs from the current time

Hi guys, I am having file which contains below data. 2012-04-24 08:40:13 10739022730 1027699274PersonInfoShipTO details missing FirstName,LastName, 2012-04-24 08:40:13 10739022730 1027699274PersonInfoShipTO details missing FirstName,LastName, 2012-04-24 08:40:13 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies
SLEEP(3)								 1								  SLEEP(3)

sleep - Delay execution

SYNOPSIS
int sleep (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Delays the program execution for the given number of $seconds. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - Halt time in seconds. RETURN VALUES
Returns zero on success, or FALSE on error. If the call was interrupted by a signal, sleep(3) returns a non-zero value. On Windows, this value will always be 192 (the value of the WAIT_IO_COMPLETION constant within the Windows API). On other platforms, the return value will be the number of seconds left to sleep. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified number of $seconds is negative, this function will generate a E_WARNING. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Before PHP 5.3.4, on Windows, sleep(3) always | | | returns NULL when sleep has occurred, regardless | | | of whether the sleep was interrupted or not. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 sleep(3) example <?php // current time echo date('h:i:s') . " "; // sleep for 10 seconds sleep(10); // wake up ! echo date('h:i:s') . " "; ?> This example will output (after 10 seconds) 05:31:23 05:31:33 SEE ALSO
usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), time_sleep_until(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group SLEEP(3)