Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root privileges
Top Forums Programming root privileges Post 90131 by Perderabo on Friday 18th of November 2005 01:51:35 PM
Old 11-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsin
thanks Perderabo

but I want to run it in GUI mode, so how I use it?
I guess you have me there. Ok, on HP-UX, I changed a old user's password to the terrible password of "password". This changed his encrypted password to "O26nQUAUM2vLA". I copied that string into a program to sidestep the problem of obtaining it. This varies from system to system. Most systems have an /etc/shadow file, but HP-UX does not. And anyway, your question centered around testing a supplied password against the encrypted string. This program works on HP-UX and Solaris...

Code:
#ifdef __STDC__
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
#define PROTOTYPICAL
#endif

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <crypt.h>

#define ENCRYPT "O26nQUAUM2vLA"

#ifdef PROTOTYPICAL
int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[])
#else
main(argc,argv,envp)
int argc;
char *argv[];
char *envp[];
#endif

{
        static char e[] = ENCRYPT;
        static char pass[9];
        strcpy(pass, getpass("Enter password - "));
        printf(" You entered %s which is %d chars in length \n", pass, strlen(pass));
        if (!strcmp(crypt(pass, e), e)) {
                printf("That is the correct password\n");
        } else {
                printf("That is the wrong password\n");
        }
         exit(0);
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root privileges &Sudoer

Hi guys... how can a root assign a user all or most of the root privileges? is sudoer comand enough 4 this? thx alot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blue_7
2 Replies

2. Solaris

sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root privileges

Hello, As admin with root rights, to execute any command from another user without password-ask, I do : su - <user> -c "<cmd>" But how can I do to give the same rights to another physical user without using root user ? :confused: I've try to create another user "toor" with the same primary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
4 Replies

4. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Bind to port 80 as root, then drop privileges?

I have written a small web server in Python, and now I would like to run it on port 80, but in order to be able to bind to a port below 1024 I need to have root privileges. I don't want to run the server as root, though. How can I bind to port 80 as root and then drop root privileges? Thankful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Privileges like root

My English is no very good. I must make a bash scripting sh create like a backdoor, and when execute the script a user without privileges convert in super user or root, whithout introducing the password. In Spanish: Crear un script que sirva como puerta trasera al sistema, de manera que al... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitievbr
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Gaining root privileges

Hello I am a new (and only) administrator of a Solaris 10 environment. The previous admin gave me a use (say user123) that is supposed to have administrative privileges. Now the problem is, the user does not have this privilege! Here is what i tried so far: $ id uid=109(user123) gid=1(other)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

User with root privileges in hp ux

hi, i am new in hp ux and i must create a user with root privileges and so i disable ssh connection from root login. thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliste
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring tools that do NOT require root privileges

Hi guys, I am currently managing an application running on around 150 servers. I only have application usage rights on those servers and do not have any root privileges. I have an external node that can connect to those servers and I have root privileges on that one box. I want to setup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2000 PIVOT_ROOT(8)