Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variable not retaining value
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable not retaining value Post 89899 by gillbates on Wednesday 16th of November 2005 05:02:10 PM
Old 11-16-2005
So even if you export the variable before calling the while loop it goes ahead and creates a local copy of the variable? Well isn't that special. I don't suppose you know a way of circumventing that behavior do you?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing data and retaining the full length of variable

Here's is an example of what I want to do: var1="Horse " var2="Cat " var3="Fish " for animals in "$var1" "$var2" "$var3" do set $animals pet=$1 ## Ok, now I want to get the values of $pet, but ## I want to retain the full length it was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: app4dxh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining value in var for flag.

I have problem like this : while loop 1 var=some expression 2 if then 3 Do something 4 oldVar=$var 5 fi 6 done Then, I am facing error at line number 2, mentioning invalid argument. Can anyone please help me for, How to retain value in oldVar? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. Linux

retaining the evironment varaibles...

Hi all, I wrote a shell script in which one of the if condition i tried to set few variables and exported them...and when i am out of if condition i wish to run one of my script which uses those variables exported. But i found that when i am out of the if statement those variables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya444
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retaining Spaces within a word

Hi Experts, I have a 2 GB flat file which have unicode field, some of them are blanks and its size is 4000 character. In the existing system SED command removes the spaces. Because of this field itself....it is taking almost three days to complete the file processing. I removed sed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RcR
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

retaining file path

hi all, Is there any way to retain file path? echo "Please enter your old filename" read a #user input : /blah/blah1 echo "please enter the new filename" read b #user input : dumb mv $a $b What i would like to do is for the user to enter just the "filename" for the new filename... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value not retaining outside function

Hi All, As per my understanding, value of variable is retained outside function. But the value of array myarrayDriver is not retained outside function. Could you please tell the reason for the same.. code: readingConfigFile() { search_keyword="$1" i=0 for pointer in $(cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in retaining leading zero

Hello. I'm trying to add multiple numbers with varying length and with leading zeroes in it. However, I'm getting the sum (totalHashAccountNumber) without the leading zeroes in it. How do I retain the leading zeroes? Please pardon the lengthy code.. I'm getting the hash account number from 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with retaining variable scope

Hi, I use Korn Shell. Searched Forum and modified the way the file is input to the while loop, but still the variable does not seem to be retaining the final count. while read name do Tmp=`echo $name | awk '{print $9 }'` Count=`cat $Tmp | wc -l`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining whitespaces...

There's an input file(input.txt) which has the following details : CBA BA <Please note the second record has a LEADING WHITESPACE which is VALID> I am using the following code to read the content of the said file line by line: while read p ; do echo "$p" done < input.txt This is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining value outside loop

Hi, I m new to shell scripting. I did some research and understand that unix treats while and other loops as new shell and hence the variable loose its value outside of the loop. I found solution for integer variable but in mycase this is a string variable. here variable loc is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowyrtech
6 Replies
RESIZE(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)