Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell help needed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell help needed Post 89814 by stevefox on Wednesday 16th of November 2005 02:08:19 AM
Old 11-16-2005
Question Shell help needed

Could someone tell me how to do the below in Korn Shell or SED?

If the 1st word (i.e. 1st character to the one character before the 1st space) of a line is the same as the 1st word of the 2nd line then add the 3rd word of the 1st line and the 3rd word of the 2nd line and divide the sum of the 4th word of the 1st and 2nd line and put the result into a new file with only the 1st word and result of the division. And I want this to loop until it reachs the end of the file.

e.g. I have a file which contains 5 lines below:

AAA Unit1 60 39
AAA Unit7 30 15
BBB Unit3 80 60
CCC Unit4 50 25
CCC Unit8 90 45

I want it to output 3 lines below:

AAA 0.6
BBB 0.75
CCC 0.5

0.6 was calculated by (39+15)/(60+30) taken from 1st and second line.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Help Needed

How do I change directories to a path given by input variable in Korn Shell? e.g. I tired with the Korn Shell below but it doesn't work. ---------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter folder name: \c" read folder cd $folder ---------------------------------- Any help will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell Help needed

Could someone tell me the code for doing the below inside a k shell? I have a file file below: $ more file1 >>>>> AAA BBB CCC <<<<< >>>>> DDD EEE FFF <<<<< I want the lines between ">>>>>" and "<<<<<" to be one line like below: AAA BBB CCC (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHell Scripting Help Needed

Dear All, I have an input file like this interface Serial10/0/7:11.1 point-to-point description CLIENT:SA_INSTITUTO ANGLO MEXICANO Sitio Metepec 104452:0,165 bandwidth 64 ip vrf forwarding INSTITUTO-ANGLO ip address 192.168.148.217 255.255.255.252 no ip directed-broadcast frame-relay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help needed

I am trying to query a table having 3 columns, the third column is a field of varchar(1024) with a SQL string in it. I am using cut command to split out the three fields into three variables. I do a db2 command to extract the data into a file. My problem is with the third field having the SQL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed for a shell script

i need to search the starting line example we have -sh shl-js-gd i need to search only starting -sh not the other i have used cmd cat filename | grep '-' but it will check for complete - in the file please help me to search only starting - thank u revenna (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script help is needed

I have a file test.txt and i need to grep pattern "A.17" from that file. I know cat test.txt | grep A.17 will return the pattern, but it is returing like # VERSION=A.17 How can i take only A.17 from this if A.17 is found, ... do something if not found ... do something Please... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with Shell script

Hi I want a script which should basically do 1. If the size of the file is 0kb, send email to some list od ppl 2. if the size of the file is other than 0kb send email to someother list... Pls help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: win4luv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Shell scripting

Hi All, I need to split a flatfile based on it's first character, I am using the following script awk '{print > "TEST_substr($0,1,1).txt"}' PROVIDER.txt It is returning files TEST_1 and TEST_2 But I am not getting the .txt file extension. I need the files like TEST_1.txt and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam35
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script

Hi, I have trouble building the logic for the following, could anyone please help me out with this: Im working on a wrapper script to check for input files (in a specific directory) and pass the input files along with the options as parameters to the main script.The options vary depending ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - help needed

I want to take out the Z1 value from the lscfg outpu and use the below command to get it lscfg -vl hdisk0 | grep "Device Specific.(Z1)" | awk -F. '{print $NF}' # lscfg -vpl hdisk0 . . Device Specific.(Z0)........0000063268181002 Device Specific.(Z1)........020064a . And it works,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moorthikv
2 Replies
mhc(5)								File Formats Manual							    mhc(5)

NAME
mhc - Message Harmonized Calendaring system DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mhc file format. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. FIELDS
Mhc file format is based on STD11/RFC822: Standard for the format of ARPA Internet text messages. In mhc file, the following extra header fields are used. X-SC-Day: Date of event in format yyyymmdd. You can specify multiple date with space separated like: X-SC-Day: 19990409 19990413 which means April 9th 1999 and April 13th 1999. X-SC-Time: Time of event in format hh:mm-hh:mm or hh:mm. For event which has no meanings about time, you can leave it empty in this field. X-SC-Duration: Period of event in yyyymmdd-yyyymmdd. You can omit start date or end date, like "19991121-". X-SC-Duration: is used only to limit date specified by X-SC-Day: or X-SC-Cond, so you can't describe event date only by X-SC-Duration:. If X-SC-Duration: is empty, it means no limit. X-SC-Cond: Condition of event date by using following keyword. 00-31 Day of month. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Last Week in month. Sun Mon ... Sat Day of week. Jan Feb ... Dec Month Examples, X-SC-Cond: Tue Fri Every Tuesday and Friday. X-SC-Cond: 31 Aug Every August 31th. X-SC-Cond: 1st 3rd Fri Every 1st and 3rd Friday. X-SC-Cond: Fri X-SC-Day: !19990409 Every Friday, but except April 9th 1999. X-SC-Cond: Fri 13 Every 13th and Every Friday, not 13th Friday. X-SC-Alarm: Hint for alarm of event. Currently, mhc.el doesn't alaram, but gemcal will pop-up alarm window. It will be useful if you transfer this event to PalmOS. In X-SC-Alarm:, you can specify the number (1 to 99) with suffix such as minute, hour or day. For example, X-SC-Alarm: 10 minutes Alarm 10 minutes before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 hour Alarm 3 hours before event. X-SC-Alarm: 3 day Alarm 3 day before event. X-SC-Subject: Subject of event. unstructured? X-SC-Location: Location of event. unstructured? X-SC-Category Category of event. Any keyword, space separeated. Case ignored. X-SC-Recoard-Id: Internal use only. SEE ALSO
adb2mhc(1) gemcal(1), mhc-sync(1), mhc2palm(1), palm2mhc(1), today(1). AUTHOR
This program was written by Yoshinari Nomura <nom@quickhack.net> and this manual page was written by Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 23 Jun 2000 mhc(5)