Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Breaking mirror for patches, sun/os 5.9 Post 89502 by BG_JrAdmin on Monday 14th of November 2005 02:30:04 AM
Old 11-14-2005
Breaking mirror for patches, sun/os 5.9

Hi,

Going to be applying patches to Sun prod (dev 1st) boxes soon,
I'm going to break the mirror's on 3 file systems on the root disk prior to that (/, /var, /swap),then run 9_Recommended. Then, run it for a day or 2 before re-syncing the mirrors.

But, what if I want to backout of this post-patch cluster?

I have never done this, so: heres what i think i should do:

Boot into S mode, edit vfstab to mount the archived disk on boot.
modify the boot prom if needed, boot it.

Prolly 30 minutes of guesswork beyond there.
Any help to save me some time before i begin testing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Breaking Mirror

Can some one point this UNIX newbie to a web site or directions on the steps needed to break a mirror in HP-UNIX to change a bad hard drive. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: egress1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sun mirror

I have a solaris 9 machine which I would like to mirror it system disk using disk suite but my sun solaris machine has one internal disk which has the OS installed on. I have spare external disk of the same size, is it possible to mirror and internal disk with external disk using disk suite? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Patches question

I have Solaris 9 on my server. From SunSolve site, I see: Solaris9 Sun Alert Patch Cluster (184.9 M) & Solaris9 (204.3 M) What is the difference between the Sun Alert Patch Cluster and the "regular" patch cluster? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 - breaking of mirror and change new hard disk

Hi, am a newbie at solaris. Need advice and help on this. 1) How do I break the mirror between 2 hard disks. (wish to keep 1 good hard disk as backup) 2) After remove 1 hard disk and put in new hard disk, how do I initialise or fomat the new hard disk? 3) How do I put back the backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongkls77
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of 2 sun server patches using script

Hi, I am not sure what I am missing, tried to debug but was not successful, any help on this will be much appreciated. #!/bin/sh rm -f /tmp/t? host1=`cat $1|grep Hostname: | awk '{print $2}'` host2=`cat $2|grep Hostname: | awk '{print $2}'` rel1=`cat $1|grep Release: | awk '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathvik
1 Replies

6. Solaris

x86 Sun Machine and Solaris Soft Mirror

Hi everyone, Normally it always easier in Sparc machine, i can set or manually use the boot-device in NVram to boot the mirrored disk. However I have a big trouble about x86 mirror for a long time. I have been doing anything i can: search document, google, ask the others. Recently i did as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

breaking a hard drive mirror

Hey guys i have a machine running redhat enterprise 3.8 (i believe) and it has two hard drives that are mirrored. what would i have to do to get them to act as two seperate hard drives so i have 120gb capacity total as opposed to just 60? also, what would i do if i just wanted to take one of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacman529
4 Replies

8. AIX

List of Installed patches for AIX from given set of patches

I need to find out list of installed patches from given list of patches. I have tried using instfix -f <File containing list of patches> -i -c But I was not able to understand the output of this command. It was like below. bos.perf.tools: :0.0.0.0:?: bos.rte.libc: :0.0.0.0:?: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh Agrawal
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VxVM breaking mirror for migrating storage

We are in the process of migrating storage from one array to another. I know the commands I would use in LVM but I am not very familiar with VxVM. The goal is to attach the new LUNs from the new array and add them to the disk group. Then mirror the data online to these new LUNs using VxVM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
4 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)