Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 9 install cd boot fail Post 89177 by RTM on Friday 11th of November 2005 08:18:51 AM
Old 11-11-2005
If it has Solaris 10 on it already, then boot it and check that the cdrom works while booted in Solaris 10.

If you don't have the access into Solaris 10, then at the ok prompt, you can use devalias to insure that the cdrom is known. Post your output from devalias.

I wasn't sure if you meant you tried the fsck command while at the ok prompt or while booted into Solaris 10. Please clear up this confusion on my part. Also, what were you trying to fsck?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 1/06 CD1 boot fail

Hello all. I download last version from sun.com, unzip iso's and burn their to cd's. When i try to load (on different machines) from first cd i receive this errors: /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' ... several screens same message ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozheyko_d
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Fail to up network interface after system boot

Hi! I have Sun SPARC Enterprise T5140 with Solaris 10 and it unable to up network interface after boot, but after issuing ifconfig interface begins to work... svcs -xv says that service svc:/network/physical:default is failed to start and service log stores something like "service method... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

3. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

fail to boot HPUX

HPUX running in D-Class (L1000), pretty old HPUX version - hpux 11.00 Attempt 1 -- To boot from normal (primary) Unable to boot - system complains failure SYSTEM ALERT System Name : uninitialized DATE : 10/22/2011 Time : 03/41:12 Alert Level 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
12 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot Boot Cd TO Install Solaris 11

Recently our school acquired a number of Sun Blade 100 systems from a university that was previously using them as a computational cluster. We intend to rig them to do the same thing, but they failed to give us the head node, and all the machines we have are still configured to boot from network.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alphonse509
16 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Blade 150 will not boot off harddrive after install of solaris 10

Hello, I cant get my blade box to boot off the harddrive after installing solaris 10.I can get to a root prompt after issuing "boot cdrom -s".I tried booting off disk0 and disk1,but I get "the file just loaded does not seem to be executable".Thanks for any help.:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chucky
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail

Hi guys, I've been trying to set up a server for disk-less booting of remote machines on a network. The server host OS is RHEL6 and I have configured dhcp, tftp and nfs services which are proven to be working since I am able to install RHEL6 through pxe boot. Now I want it to serve for disk-less... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aninmuk
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

System fail to boot

Hi im using centos 6.4 starting yesterday i have a strange issue that im unable to resolve. the system is booting to GRUB menu and the os is not starting. i tried to run a repair install and the message attached is what i get, what can cause this? thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guy3145
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Serious problem to fail boot up

My current OS using the solaris 9 and find the reboot , it returns the message even i restore , and boot -s Hardware watchdog enabled Configuring ATM interfaces: NOTICE: VxVM not started configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0 bge3 ce0 ce3. Hostname: devuardms01 mount: mount-point /usr does... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
10 Replies
synclist(4)							   File Formats 						       synclist(4)

NAME
synclist - list of files to be synchronized when changing from one boot environment to another SYNOPSIS
/etc/lu/synclist DESCRIPTION
The synclist file lists files that will be synchronized when you switch from one boot environment (BE) to another. The file is part of the Live Upgrade feature of the Solaris Operating Environment. See live_upgrade(5) for an overview of the Live Upgrade software. The synclist file consists of a list of entries, with two fields per entry. The first field is a pathname, the second a keyword. The key- word can be one of OVERWRITE, APPEND, or PREPEND. The meanings of these keywords is described below. synclist accepts comments; a comment is indicated by a hash mark (#) in the first character position on a line. The way in which a file is updated is indicated by the keyword in the second field of its synclist entry. All of these operations occur upon the first boot of a newly activated BE. The keywords have the following semantics: OVERWRITE Overwrite the contents of a file with the contents of the file of the same name on the previously booted BE. Both directories and files can be specified for overwriting. If you specify a directory, every file in and beneath the listed directory is subject to being over- written. (Whether an individual file or directory is overwritten depends on the outcome of the comparison of file versions, described below.) Following an overwrite operation, a file on a new BE has the same date of creation, mode, and ownership as the file of the same name on the previously booted BE. APPEND Append the contents of a file on the previously booted BE to the contents of the file of the same name on the new BE. Use of APPEND allows for the possibility of duplicate entries in a file. You cannot use APPEND with directories. Following an append operation, a file on a new BE will have a different modified date and time from the same file on the previously booted BE. The mode and ownership will be the same between the two files. PREPEND Prepend the contents of a file on the previously booted BE to the contents of the file of the same name on the new BE. Use of PREPEND allows for the possibility of duplicate entries in a file. You cannot use PREPEND with directories. Following a prepend operation, a file on a new BE will have a different modified date and time from the same file on the previously booted BE. The mode and ownership will be the same between the two files. The second (keyword) field in a synclist entry can be empty, in which case the OVERWRITE action is assumed. In deciding when to update a file on a newly activated BE, Live Upgrade uses an algorithm illustrated in the table below. In the table, "old" refers to a BE relinquishing activated status; "new" refers to a newly activated BE. The "resulting state" occurs when the new BE is first booted. +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ |State of File | State of File |Resulting State | | | | | |on Old BE | on New BE |on New BE | +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ |Unchanged | Unchanged |Not updated | +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ |Updated | Unchanged |Updated | +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ |Unchanged | Updated |Not updated | +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ |Updated | Updated |Conflict Indicated | +------------------+--------------------+----------------------+ When a file is updated on both an old and new BE, as shown in the last row of the table above, Live Upgrade reports the conflict and allows you to resolve it. Modify the contents of synclist with caution. Adding certain files to synclist might render a BE unbootable. Also, be careful in using the file-inclusion and -exclusion options in lucreate(1M) in conjunction with changes you might make in synclist. Again, you could render a system unbootable or end up with different results from what you expected. Switching BEs among different Solaris Operating Environment marketing releases (for example, from a Solaris 9 BE to a Solaris 2.6 BE) requires care. This is especially true if you make any modifications to synclist. For example, consider that the last-active BE contains Solaris 9 and you want to activate a BE that contains Solaris 2.6. In synclist in the Solaris 9 BE, you have added files that are present in Solaris 9 that are not present in Solaris 2.6 or that are no longer compatible with Solaris 2.6. If you forced synchronization with the luactivate(1M) -s option, the BE containing Solaris 2.6 might be synchronized with files that might not work under Solaris 2.6. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Updating the passwd File Consider the following scenario: 1. You create a BE, named first. 2. You create a new BE, named second, using first as the source. 3. You add a new user to first, thereby making an addition to the passwd file in first. 4. Using luactivate(1M), you activate second. At this point, Live Upgrade recognizes that the passwd file has been updated in first and not in second. 5. When you boot second for the first time, Live Upgrade, directed by the keyword OVERWRITE in synclist, copies passwd from first to sec- ond, overwriting the contents in the latter BE. The result described above obtains with any of the files associated with the OVERWRITE keyword in synclist. If the reverse had occurred-- you edited passwd on second and left passwd in first untouched--Live Upgrade would not have modified passwd in second when that BE was first booted. Example 2: Updating the /var/log/syslog File Consider the following scenario: 1. You create a BE, named first. 2. You create a new BE, named second, using first as the source. 3. Logging occurs, adding to the contents of /var/log/syslog in first. 4. Using luactivate(1M), you activate second. At this point, Live Upgrade recognizes that /var/log/syslog has been updated in first and not in second. 5. When you boot second for the first time, Live Upgrade, directed by the keyword APPEND in synclist, appends the contents of /var/log/syslog in first to the same file in second. The result described above obtains with any of the files associated with the APPEND keyword in synclist. If the reverse had occurred--you changed /var/log/syslog on second and left /var/log/syslog in first untouched--Live Upgrade would not have modified /var/log/syslog in sec- ond when that BE was first booted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWluu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
luactivate(1M), lucreate(1M), lumake(1M), attributes(5), live_upgrade(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Aug 2003 synclist(4)