Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggestion On Which OS to Use and Learn Post 889 by PxT on Thursday 25th of January 2001 03:28:00 PM
Old 01-25-2001
The new <A HREF="http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/">linux 2.4.0</A> has greatly improved firewalling over previous versions. You will need the <A HREF="http://netfilter.samba.org/">iptables package</A> to set up the firewall rules. You can also easily share printers with your Windows machines via <A HREF="http://www.samba.org/">Samba</A>

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion

As I was just pondering to myself I relized that emergency's do happen and there are times when people need an anwser to their problem ASAP. So what i was thinking why not add a live chat to this board this way people could chat amongst each other in real time. I know this could be done with a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tovsky
1 Replies

2. Programming

I want a suggestion

I am a student and I love the computer very much , especially in programming. However I know little about programming . I don't know which I should learn (JAVA and C++). Would you like to give me a suggestion ? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: camel
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your suggestion please..

can anyone rite here guide me. i want to know which reference books that all of you recommended for C Shell dummies like me...(beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unknown2205
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need your suggestion

Hi all: I need your suggestion about how to making this script Purpose:- Monitor log for the system OS: Unix Sun Solaris 10 Hold oracle database 10 g Life time for the system cycle to 48 hours the system working as the follow 1- the system is divided into three steps 2-... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellsh
0 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion

Can we have a forum that is dedicated to topics concerning power management ? It'd be great to have a few moderators to address these issues concerning the power-management. More-so-ever since research related to power management at the OS level is kicking up a lot of dust and becoming a hot area... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OS suggestion

Hello, I'm working on a Linux 2.6.32-33-server (Ubuntu 4.4.3). I typed in man -k package and got e.g. apt I typed in apt --help and got: The program 'apt' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdkI don't understand where this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Suggestion

Hi, I have the requirement to run multiple SQLs against database running on a server and save the output of SQL executed to a log. I thought about writing a Function in sh that will take file name as argument and function should return the SQL output to calling program. E.g. function Run_SQL... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any suggestion?

Hi folks, Any good suggestion concerning this BASH search script? #Any good suggestions for this simple search shell? #================================ #!/bin/bash clear echo "Enter File Name for search" echo read filename locate $filename if ; then echo No such file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Regarding suggestion

Hello Admin/moderators Team, Greetings !! This is regarding a suggestion which may help our forum if this is possible. Thanks, R. Singh "GOD helps those who help themselves" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
2 Replies
PYROMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							PYROMAN(8)

NAME
pyroman - a firewall configuration utility SYNOPSIS
pyroman [ -hvnspP ] [ -r RULESDIR ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ --help ] [ --version ] [ --safe ] [ --no-act ] [ --print ] [ --print-verbose ] [ --rules=RULESDIR ] [ --timeout=SECONDS ] [ safe ] DESCRIPTION
pyroman is a firewall configuration utility. It will compile a set of configuration files to iptables statements to setup IP packet filtering for you. While it is not necessary for operating and using Pyroman, you should have understood how IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP and the other commonly used Internet protocols work and interact. You should also have understood the basics of iptables in order to make use of the full functionality. pyroman does not try to hide all the iptables complexity from you, but tries to provide you with a convenient way of managing a complex networks firewall. For this it offers a compact syntax to add new firewall rules, while still exposing access to add arbitrary iptables rules. OPTIONS
-r RULESDIR,--rules=RULES Load the rules from directory RULESDIR instead of the default directory (usually /etc/pyroman ) -t SECONDS,--timeout=SECONDS Wait SECONDS seconds after applying the changes for the user to type OK to confirm he can still access the firewall. This implies --safe but allows you to use a different timeout. -h, --help Print a summary of the command line options and exit. -V, --version Print the version number of pyroman and exit. -s, --safe, safe When the firewall was committed, wait 30 seconds for the user to type OK to confirm, that he can still access the firewall (i.e. the network connection wasn't blocked by the firewall). Otherwise, the firewall changes will be undone, and the firewall will be restored to the previous state. Use the --timeout=SECONDS option to change the timeout. -n, --no-act Don't actually run iptables. This can be used to check if pyroman accepts the configuration files. -p, --print Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. -P, --print-verbose Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. Each statement will have one comment line explaining how this rules was generated. This will usually include the filename and line number, and is useful for debugging. CONFIGURATION
Configuration of pyroman consists of a number of files in the directory /etc/pyroman. These files are in python syntax, although you do not need to be a python programmer to use these rules. There is only a small number of statements you need to know: add_host Define a new host or network add_interface Define a new interface (group) add_service Add a new service alias (note that you can always use e.g. www/tcp to reference the www tcp service as defined in /etc/services) add_nat Define a new NAT (Network Address Translation) rule allow Allow a service, client, server combination reject Reject access for this service, client, server combination drop Drop packets for this service, client, server combination add_rule Add a rule for this service, client, server and target combination iptables Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at beginning iptables_end Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at the end Detailed parameters for these functions can be looked up by caling cd /usr/share/pyroman pydoc ./commands.py BUGS
None known as of pyroman-0.4 release AUTHOR
pyroman was written by Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> SEE ALSO
iptables(8), iptables-restore(8) iptables-load(8) PYROMAN(8)