Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: forcing users to su
Operating Systems Solaris forcing users to su Post 88744 by Perderabo on Tuesday 8th of November 2005 11:27:47 AM
Old 11-08-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by izy100
Another way is passwd -N oracle
He said Solaris 9 and "passwd -N" first arrives with Solaris 10. I was not familiar with "passwd -N" but after playing with it, I do not think it will help here. Once you "passwd -N" the oracle account, then what? You still need sudo.

Solaris 9
passwd -l
sets encrypted passwd field to *LK*

Solaris 10
passwd -l
Prepends *LK* to encrypted passwd field -- and you can use "passwd -u" to restore orig passwd

passwd -N
sets encrypted passwd field to NP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

forcing irq on PCMCIA card

ENV: linux Version: Mandrake 8.1, PCMCIA card: longshine lcs-8534TB. (supported according the PCMCIA docs) laptop is P-II lifetec /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia: PCMCIA=yes PCIC=i82365 ( found via probe -m ) PCIC_OPTS="cs_irq=11 pci_irq_list=11,11 do_scan=0" ( you see i want to force irq 11 )... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

forcing su on a user

This is for 3 os's, AIX, Solaris, and AIX, didnt want to post three seperate times on the same subject, anyways, I want to force the user MQM to su, i.e. not be able to rlogin/telnet to the box as user MQM, only login as there ID(chris for example) and su to MQM, does anyone know how to do this,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
4 Replies

3. Solaris

forcing password change every X days?

Hi, how do I go about forcing users to change their password every, say, 30 days? Aaron (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amheck
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forcing Makefile to Ignore Errors

Is there A way I can Force a makefile to ignore errors? i believe it is using gcc. i have a set of commands in the makefile that i want to run and each time the makefile gets to the point of this commands, it aborts because of the commands. how can i get the makefile to keep running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forcing web pages to anti-aliase

Here is an observation that has started to riddle me and perhaps someone can enlighten me. When a web page (or desktop page for that matter) uses the standard font, it is not anti-aliased, unless the user opts in to do so via the desktop settings. It appears however that fonts are not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Forcing a kernel panic in RHEL 5.4

Hello, Is there a way to force a kernel panic in RHEL 5.4 in such a way that the machine reboots after the panic. Thanks, Kanna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK: Backslash \ and forcing output not to go onto new lines

Dear all, I am using Mac OSX, have been successfully written an awk script during the last days. I use the script to convert parts of a .dot-file into graphml code. First question: Backslash My .dot-code includes repeatedly the sign "\n". I would like to search for this sign and substitute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ingli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forcing a tty session but getting a password prompt?

I have a master host I want to use to issue some start/stop of LDAP services. I changed the client hosts /etc/sudoers to have Defaults:infra !requiretty The master host kicks off the jobs using the infra account doing a ssh session to the infra account on the clients. #!/bin/ksh ps -fu... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Man
5 Replies

9. Hardware

Forcing Linux to keep charging my Kindle

Linux seems to have weird USB power saving features, my Kindle 3 only gets some charge before Linux powers down the USB port. When the device is mounted, it doesn't get enough power, with this same hardware under Windows I don't get the message on the Kindle "currently your kindle is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
2 Replies

10. Programming

Forcing a write to a file without newline?

Hello, I am writing a program which runs with root privileges, and it creates a child with lowered privileges and has to redirect it's stdout and stderr to a file and then run bash. The problem is, whenever I read this file, I want to see all of the current output, even when the program is still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madd-games
10 Replies