Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What does this mean: couldn't get uname for uid 1005 Post 88510 by GNMIKE on Saturday 5th of November 2005 04:54:06 AM
Old 11-05-2005
What does this mean: couldn't get uname for uid 1005

When trying to use tar I got this msg - What does it mean?

couldn't get uname for uid 1005

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wrong 'uname' )

Hi ! I heard that root can modify the uname -command, so it will show the wrong kernel version. Is it true? can you tell more about this /give links ? system: linux/*bsd. thanks in advance (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DCrystal
14 Replies

2. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

3. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uname info

Hi all, on my linux i typed uname -a which gave me Linux dell.domain.net 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp #1 SMP Wed Sep 28 19:30:04 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux I was checking kernel version i also didnt know what linux i have... So if i undersood this correctly , i have fedora core 4 ? Also ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttoni
3 Replies

5. AIX

uname -S newhostname

hi freinds recently i have change hostname node as using uname -s ******* but next time i saw the name using uname -n the name did t changed is that i have to reboot the system (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
4 Replies

6. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

8. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies
tar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    tar(4)

NAME
tar - format of tar tape archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure produced by (see tar(1)) is as follows (the array size defined by the constants is shown on the right): All characters are represented in ASCII. There is no padding used in the header block; all fields are contiguous. The fields magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated character strings. The fields name, linkname, and prefix are null-terminated char- acter strings except when all characters in the array contain non-null characters, including the last character. The version field is two bytes containing the characters (zero-zero). The typeflag contains a single character. All other fields are leading-zero-filled octal numbers in ASCII. Each numeric field is terminated by one or more space or null characters. The name and the prefix fields produce the pathname of the file. The hierarchical relationship of the file is retained by specifying the pathname as a path prefix, with a slash character and filename as the suffix. If the prefix contains non-null characters, prefix, a slash character, and name are concatenated without modification or addition of new characters to produce a new pathname. In this manner, path- names of at most 256 characters can be supported. If a pathname does not fit in the space provided, the format-creating utility notifies the user of the error, and no attempt is made to store any part of the file, header, or data on the medium. SEE ALSO
tar(1) STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tar(4)