Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting identify whether idrectory or ordinary file Post 88509 by surjyap on Saturday 5th of November 2005 04:22:52 AM
Old 11-05-2005
no not by using if. is there any other command or technique available?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

problem using rsh for ordinary users!

Hello, I'm going to use the remote tape via rsh , I think that all the necessary process have been done as below: (suppose the machine name that want to use tape is : m1 & the source machine is: m2 ) 1-in m2 machine i add: + m1 in .rhosts... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify type of file

hi all, i have the next question: how can i identify the type of a file? . I'm working in Unix (Solaris 5.7) and i would like identify if a file is or not is a "flat file". I need have a program what separates the flat file in a directory, and the excel file in another directory. I must get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

heads up unable tp login using ordinary account

Hi Mentors, I have a unix box HPC8000 HPUX 11.11 had just a problem loging in on CDE using ordinary account. The problem looks like this when an ordinary account will login to it will automatically closed and the login promtp will appear. If the root will login no problem at all. I tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
0 Replies

5. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

6. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharaola
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

wanted to find both link file and ordinary file using single find command

find . -type fl o/p is only the ordinary file. where in it wont give the link files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare large file and identify difference in separate file

I have a very large system generated file containing around 500K rows size 100MB like following HOME|ALICE STREET|3||NEW LISTING HOME|NEWPORT STREET|1||NEW LISTING HOME|KING STREET|5||NEW LISTING HOME|WINSOME AVENUE|4||MODIFICATION CAR|TOYOTA|4||NEW LISTING CAR|FORD|4||NEW... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jubaier
9 Replies
NOWEB(1)						      General Commands Manual							  NOWEB(1)

NAME
noindex - build external index for noweb document SYNOPSIS
noindex basename[.tex] DESCRIPTION
noindex looks through LaTeX .aux files for identifiers that should go in a noweb external index. It sorts all identifiers and writes the results on basename.nwi. NOWEB INDEXING STRATEGIES
A noweb program consists of one or more files. In the simple case, these files are run through noweave together, to produce a single LaTeX file. noweave -index suffices to produce an index and cross-referencing information; neither nodefs nor noindex is required. When a noweb program consists of several source files, it is often better to run each source file through noweave to produce its own LaTeX file, then use noindex to produce an external index. This technique has several advantages: The line numbers in the LaTeX files correspond to the line numbers in the source files, so it is easier to diagnose LaTeX errors. The LaTeX includeonly feature can be used, making it possible to format parts of large programs while retaining complete cross-ref- erence information. When used with make(1), the technique avoids running noweave over source files that have not changed. Using the external index places fewer demands on LaTeX's memory, making it read its .aux files much more quickly. The disadvantages are that nodefs and noindex are needed for full cross-referencing and a properly sorted index. EXAMPLE
This example assumes a noweb program of three source files: a.nw , b.nw , and c.nw. The file doc.tex is assumed to contain LaTeX boiler- plate, including the commands oweboptions{externalindex} include{a} include{b} include{c} The first sequence of steps is to create a file listing all the identifiers defined anywhere in a, b, or c. nodefs a.nw > a.defs nodefs b.nw > b.defs nodefs c.nw > c.defs sort -u a.defs b.defs c.defs | cpif all.defs Using sort -u and cpif(1) avoids changing all.defs unless the set of identifiers changes. This technique, used in a Makefile, avoids unnecessary rebuilding. The next series of steps is to create LaTeX files with full cross-reference information for all identifiers. noweave -n -indexfrom all.defs a.nw > a.tex noweave -n -indexfrom all.defs b.nw > b.tex noweave -n -indexfrom all.defs c.nw > c.tex The final steps run LaTeX once to create .aux files, then noindex to create the index, then LaTeX again to format the complete document. latex doc noindex doc latex doc In a Makefile, noindex can be run before every invocation of LaTeX. BUGS
noindex is distributed in awk and Icon versions. The awk version is slow and does a poorer job sorting. There is no comparable machinery to make it possible to use multiple files with the HTML back end. SEE ALSO
noweave(1), nodefs(1), cpif(1) VERSION
This man page is from noweb version 2.11b. AUTHOR
Norman Ramsey, Harvard University. Internet address nr@eecs.harvard.edu. Noweb home page at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb. local 3/28/2001 NOWEB(1)