Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Protect .profile from accidental delete Post 88390 by Perderabo on Thursday 3rd of November 2005 02:40:15 PM
Old 11-03-2005
Make sure that menu script is truly executable. Then make it the shell for the user.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

protect dtterm

we have an hp-ux and a user requested me if i can password protect the dtterm. i know that this is possible but can you give me some hints in making this happen? thanks :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Protect from rm /

We recently had an accidental delete from /. I hold the root password but others are allowed to sudo over to root to perform admin tasks. The only way I want to permit deletion from / is by physically being root (su -). I'd like to add a line to the sudoers file which would permit all commands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove accidental file

Hi, I have a strange problem. I accidentally created a file named ${1}_$(date+%Y%m%d) and when i am trying to remove it I am getting this error . Can any one suggest me how i can remove this accidental file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidental deletion of root account

I had created a root account when I installed the Centos 5 into my system. But now the problem I'm facing is that I accidently deleted the root user account in my system. Is there a way to recreate the root account in the system now, without reinstalling the OS? Pls help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

protect process

how to protect my process from others to kill?? Double post, continued here, thread closed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrintu
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Prevent accidental push of yp maps from slave servers

To prevent an accidental "cd /var/yp; make all" from being executed on an NIS slave server, I found a helpful hint from an instructor in a Solaris class. Just rename the /var/yp/Makefile to Makefile.orig. You will get an error message when trying to execute the "make all" on a slave server. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoser
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with accidental endless loop

I was practicing writing simple loops as I am a new bash user and I created this script, which turned out to be an endless loop where the echo output does not stop and I do not see where my mistake is. #!/bin/bash echo 'enter a number from 1 to 100' read number while do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenlinx
2 Replies
run(1F) 							   FMLI Commands							   run(1F)

NAME
run - run an executable SYNOPSIS
run [ -s] [-e] [-n] [-t string] program DESCRIPTION
The run command runs program, using the PATH variable to find it. By default, when program has completed, the user is prompted (Press ENTER to continue:), before being returned to FMLI. The argument program is a system executable followed by its options (if any). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e If -e is specified, the user will be prompted before returning to FMLI only if there is an error condition -n If -n is specified, the user will never be prompted before returning to FMLI (useful for programs like vi, in which the user must do some specific action to exit in the first place). -s The -s option means "silent", implying that the screen will not have to be repainted when program has completed. Note that the -s option should only be used when program does not write to the terminal. In addition, when -s is used, program cannot be interrupted, even if it recognizes interrupts. -tstring If -t is specified, string is the name this process will have in the pop-up menu generated by the frm-list command. This feature requires the executable facesuspend (see face(1)) to suspend the process and return to the FMLI appli- cation. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output of run command Here is a menu that uses run: menu="Edit special System files" name="Password file" action=`run -e vi /etc/passwd` name="Group file" action=`run -e vi /etc/group` name="My .profile" action=`run -n vi $HOME/.profile` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
face(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 1999 run(1F)