Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mass Copy/rename
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mass Copy/rename Post 88333 by Perderabo on Thursday 3rd of November 2005 03:32:24 AM
Old 11-03-2005
I'm not clear on the echo myself. You can always change something like
x="something"
into
x=`echo something`
and a lot of people like the second form. As for your substring question, my solution:

Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

typeset -L3 newname
echo "Lbar30
Lblah30
Lfoo30" | while read name ; do
        newname=${name#?}
        echo $name becomes $newname
done
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy way to mass rename files?

Hi. What is the easiest way to rename a bunch of files? For example taking all files ending in ".php3" and rename them to end in ".php" I could write a script to do this, but there is probably an easier way... Thanks! (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thermopylae
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and rename list of files

Hi all, I am a newbie in writng unix..I am using ksh shell..Does anyone know how to copy a list o files from directory A to directory B with differnt names? i.e in Dir A, I have RPT101.555.TXT RPT102.666.TXT and I want to copy those files to dir B with new naming convention.. in Dir B,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
7 Replies

3. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename in mass

Basically, I have a huge amount of files (ripped audiobooks) that all have the same garbage in their filenames. I'm wondering how to go about writing a bash script to mass rename them. Example filenames as they stand now: The First CD - 1x01 - Title 1.mp3 The First CD - 1x02 - Title 2.mp3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files rename and copy

hello, I am write a Script and i would listing all Files from Path1 out with DSR*.txt and give a new name an copy to the Path2. I have problems with that to rename. Someone can help me? Sorry, for my english. My english is not gut. I hope you understand my. That is my Script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: efeijoo
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to mass rename files

Hi. I've got 75 mp3s that have the word 'Émission' in their filename. They are all in this format: Émission bla1 bla1.mp3 Émission bla2 bla2.mp3 Émission bla3 bla3.mp3 etc... I would just like to mass replace 'Émission' by 'Emission'; basically replace 'É' with 'E'. The rest of the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
10 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows mass copy files with same name in differnt folders

I have files existing with same names in the folders with date as display below c:\2010-09-10 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg c:\2010-09-09 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg c:\2010-09-08 <==== folder arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy and rename file..

hi all, I have one config folder and updates folder.updates folder contains file tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml and config folder contains file tmp.xml.When the tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml file is copied in the config folder the name of this file is changed in config folder again as tmp.xml(old... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename mass files with text from first line

I have a few hundred text files that are currently numbered files. I would like to rename each one with the text from the first line in the file. I would prefer this is perl script rather than a one liner as it wil be after many alterations to the file via an existing script. Any help would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GWhizz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] copy + rename

Hi, I was thinking that this should be a synch but I could never get it to work. I want to copy a bunch of files within a directory (3/4 levels into the directory) to a common place. All these files have the same name, so I prefer to rename them with the path. I tried with files=`ls -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
5 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)