Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help capturing pipe to a file in shell script Post 88307 by Ygor on Wednesday 2nd of November 2005 08:43:05 PM
Old 11-02-2005
The first command in the script must do something with the piped input. So maybe use something like this....
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

cat > /tmp/captured.txt
:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing shell script command output

I am trying to check to see if a file exists on a ftp server, well, I know that cant be done, atleast directly, So I came up with this small script ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD cd public_html/crap dir $FILE quit END_SCRIPT Where the $ variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: designflaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe data to shell script

Sorry about the noobish question but... How do I capture data thats piped to my script? For instance, ls -al | myscript.sh How do I access the output from ls -al in myscript.sh? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones07
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with shell script for chekking a column in txt file - pipe delimited

Hi: I have a text file date(pipe delimited) which is loaded in to the DB using sql loader(&CTL files) after some initial validation by the shell script. Now i have a situation where the shell script needs to check a column in the text file and if it is NULL then it needs send this record/row... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Sybase SP output in Shell Script

Greetings, I need to capture the output of a Sybase stored procedure, inside my shell script( k shell). Based on this output, I need to call another perl script, with input arguments as the result set of the procedure execution. I need to keep looping through and call the perl script, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajpreetsidhu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing log of a shell script

Hi, I have a script which does multiple tasks in sequence. When i execute the script, it runs and displays lot of messages for each of the steps on the console. Is there any way I can capture those messages and store it for audit purposes ? Best Regards, bornon2303 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing name of the user who is running a shell script

Hello All, I am writing a shell script which will run on build server where multiple users can login.These users can run this script at the same time. I want to capture the name of the user who ran the script for every instance.How can I do that ? Regards,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for capturing FTP logs

I have a script #!/bin/bash HOST=ftp.example.com USER=ftpuser PASSWORD=P@ssw0rd ftp -inv $HOST <<EOF user $USER $PASSWORD cd /path/to/file mput *.html bye EOF the script executes sucessfully I need to capture the FTP logs to a logfile should contain FTP Login successful ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshas83
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedUseruContributed Perl DoPerl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture - Only use a capturing group if you plan to use the captured value. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Perl regular expressions have multiple types of grouping syntax. The basic parentheses (e.g. "m/(foo)/") captures into the magic variable $1. Non-capturing groups (e.g. "m/(?:foo)/" are useful because they have better runtime performance and do not copy strings to the magic global capture variables. It's also easier on the maintenance programmer if you consistently use capturing vs. non-capturing groups, because that programmer can tell more easily which regexps can be refactored without breaking surrounding code which may use the captured values. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. CAVEATS
"qr//" interpolation This policy can be confused by interpolation of "qr//" elements, but those are always false negatives. For example: my $foo_re = qr/(foo)/; my ($foo) = m/$foo_re (bar)/x; A human can tell that this should be a violation because there are two captures but only the first capture is used, not the second. The policy only notices that there is one capture in the regexp and remains happy. "@-", "@+", $LAST_MATCH_START and $LAST_MATCH_END This policy will only recognize capture groups referred to by these variables if the use is subscripted by a literal integer. $^N and $LAST_SUBMATCH_RESULT This policy will not recognize capture groups referred to only by these variables, because there is in general no way by static analysis to determine which capture group is referred to. For example, m/ (?: (A[[:alpha:]]+) | (Nd+) ) (?{$foo=$^N}) /smx makes use of the first capture group if it matches, or the second capture group if the first does not match but the second does. CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::RegularExpressions::ProhibitUnusedCapture(3)