Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Two types of pipes?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Two types of pipes? Post 88094 by blowtorch on Monday 31st of October 2005 04:05:32 PM
Old 10-31-2005
Two types of pipes?

What is the difference between:
Code:
cd /tmp
tar -cf - *.txt |gzip > tmp_txt.tar.gz

and
Code:
cd /tmp
mknod pipe p
gzip < pipe > /tmp/tmp_txt1.tar.gz &
tar -cf pipe *.txt

Apart from the fact that we have to create the pipe file manually, is there any difference in the performance of the two? If there is, then which one's better and why?

Last edited by blowtorch; 10-31-2005 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: add line in code

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup types

can anyone explain me difference between tar and ufsdump commands.............and also i wd like to know the difference between incremental and differential backup......... thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

associated file types

I have a file of type .for extension .In a guui based unix environment like solaris if I double click on that file a specific program designed by me has to run which takes this file as the parameter and exceutes the program. Can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhk_srd
8 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mime types

Hi, I am trying to launch an ogg movie from a pdf file which has been produced with pdflatex and \movie {\centerline{\includegraphics {grafiques_xerrades/un_manolo_amb_camera.pdf}}} {hlims_xerrades/XocCumuls.ogg} The switch "externalviewer" makes kpdf launch the default... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
5 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What Types of Food Do You Like The Most?

On another simple topic, multiple choice answers OK ( you can pick more than one or suggest others - we will add your suggestions to the poll ). What Types of Food Do You Like The Most? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
27 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with using different types of GREP

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hey there, I'm brand new to using Unix as I just started a course on it in my University, and I currently working through a worksheet which focuses on the many commands and methods of GREP (I'm working through the terminal command... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvarHawke
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp -r except certain file types

the following excludes certain directories successfully cp -r probe/!(dir) /destination I want to exclude certain file types and tried unsuccessfully cp -r probe/!(*.avi) /destination (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf
2 Replies

8. Programming

Are These All The Integer Types In C

Hello and Good day, I am currently studying C and I just finished learning about variables mainly those of integer type. I am wondering if the list below are all there is to integer variables and there are still more that i have to learn. Here are the list: Char Short int long long long... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: split_func0
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)