Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting K shell /tmp/sh$$.* files problem Post 88036 by amitkr on Monday 31st of October 2005 09:58:57 AM
Old 10-31-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowtorch
To my knowledge, ksh does not create any temp files on its own. You may have some customized feature that is doing this. The best thing would be to find the source of these files and change the program that is creating them.
As a workaround, maybe you can schedule some sort of cron job that will remove the files from the /tmp filesystem every few minutes.

Shell creates a temporary file whenever it encounters a " << " . in the /tmp folder... If the file already exits in the location..and shell fails to overwrite (permissions) the sript fails....

As I told earlier I dun want a cron job to delete these files....

Is there any way I can change the path of creation for these tmp files... ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. AIX

set permission to files in /tmp

Trying to setup user to have the ability to delete any files (regardless of owner) in /tmp. I've tried almost everything... the permission on the folder is drwxrwxrwt 10 bin bin, and at one point I give all the possible permission (short of root) I can give to the user, and he still can't delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to save files in /tmp????

Hi all, I would like to know how to save files in /tmp... I was interested in knowing this because when ever i booted into solaris there would already be a few files present in /tmp.however any file that is freshly stored in would be lost on reboot... can anyone answer this pls!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pin files to /tmp

Hi all, Am currently working on editing a startup script that need me to copy a certain file from cdrom to /tmp (its a live cd am working on)and mount if from there to certain place.. Now i know that nothing can be stored in /tmp permanently ,however mechanism to load the file to /tmp on... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

5. AIX

problem with tmp

Hello everyone ! I get a box with aix 5.3 and I get the /tmp fs on 100 %. I get a free space to get more bigger my fs but send me a error message. I try to make more bigger with smitty chlv but It doesnt work. Then I try to reduce somethings on the /tmp fs but I cant get in on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. AIX

what is creating the files in /tmp

How do I find what is creating these bunch of zero byte files under /tmp directory every few minutes. AIX - 5.3 TL05 # ls -l /tmp -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 0 Nov 05 16:54 n83n7a -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 0 Nov 05 16:54 ZO3S7a -rw-r--r-- 1 root system ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls or find files under /tmp/*

what is proper syntax to ls all files under /tmp/*, and wc -c ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
4 Replies

8. AIX

Unknown files in /tmp

I have a lot of files with the following names in /etc /tmp/<num>.mktcpip like /tmp/934030.mktcpip Anyone knows which process creates these files? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the GB files in /tmp directory in remote server

Hi, i need help on shell scripting. Main intention of the script is step 1: ssh to remote server Step 2: cd /tmp in remote server Step 3: in tmp i want to grep only files and directories which are in GB sizes All the servers list file is - tmpsrv.txt vi tmpsrv.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
17 Replies
ATRUN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  ATRUN(8)

NAME
atrun -- run jobs queued for later execution SYNOPSIS
atrun [-l load_avg] [-d] DESCRIPTION
atrun runs jobs queued by at(1). Root's crontab(5) must contain the line: */10 * * * * root /usr/libexec/atrun so that atrun(8) gets called every ten minutes. At every invocation, every job in lowercase queues whose starting time has passed is started. A maximum of one batch job (denoted by upper- case queues) is started each time atrun is invoked. OPTIONS
-l load_avg Specifies a limiting load factor, over which batch jobs should not be run, instead of the compiled-in value of 1.5. -d Debug; print error messages to standard error instead of using syslog(3). WARNINGS
For atrun to work, you have to start up a cron(8) daemon. FILES
/var/at/spool Directory containing output spool files /var/at/jobs Directory containing job files SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), syslog(3), crontab(5), cron(8) AUTHORS
Thomas Koenig <ig25@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> BUGS
The functionality of atrun should be merged into cron(8). BSD
April 12, 1995 BSD