Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multiple cuts syntax problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiple cuts syntax problem Post 88027 by Gerry405 on Monday 31st of October 2005 08:23:36 AM
Old 10-31-2005
I just have these

# ls -lt /usr/bin/*sh*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root other 271 Nov 30 2001 /usr/bin/shtty
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 5 Oct 19 1999 /usr/bin/rsh -> remsh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bin bin 5 Oct 19 1999 /usr/bin/rksh -> ./ksh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bin bin 13 Oct 19 1999 /usr/bin/restsh -> ../../sbin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bin bin 13 Oct 19 1999 /usr/bin/jsh -> ../../sbin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bin bin 13 Oct 19 1999 /usr/bin/sh -> ../../sbin/sh
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root bin 25696 Jun 4 1999 /usr/bin/remsh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 80040 Jun 4 1999 /usr/bin/rshd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 175948 Jun 4 1999 /usr/bin/ksh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bin bin 7369 Jun 4 1999 /usr/bin/admrshell
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root sys 38592 Feb 26 1998 /usr/bin/shl
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 223120 Apr 2 1997 /usr/bin/csh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

Dear friends, I am writing shell script in csh . i want to make arthimatic operation in csh. i wrote sysntax like this. set val = 230 set tmp = `0.1 * $val + 300` echo $tmp but it is not working . anyone please give me syntax. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Custom short cuts not working on JDS

Hello, I had created a shortcut to open up a gnome-terminal by pressing <Alt>m. This worked fine, until I logged out and logged back in. gnome-terminal no longer opens. However, the process is created, as evidenced by the gnome-terminal showing up on my process list. I've created and deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cooldude
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I write multiple variable syntax?

I am trying to write a script that will do a sql statement. But in the sql I will have a list (1,2,3,4). How would I go about asking for the input from the user running the script, and then transferring that back into the list as say ($var1,$var2,$var3)? It would be somewhat like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Captain
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple echos and cuts too slow

Hi guys, hopefully this hasn't been asked before - couldn't see the question anywhere. I have a large number of timestamps (hh-mm-ss-millisecond) that I need to find the difference between e.g.: 14-11-07-513 14-11-07-644 Now the script that I have just knocked up is horrifically slow,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk if-else syntax with multiple columns

I can't seem to get this to work. I can reformat the date field if it's the first field (and only field) in the file: However, I get a syntax error when the date field is the second field (or has any other columns following): I can use a ";" but then it puts each column on separate... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script cuts off early

I wasn't sure if this should go in the networking board or not, since I am trying to log into routers, however I don't think my script issues have anything to do with the routers themselves.... I am trying to write a script that will log into various routers we have on the network and determine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
2 Replies

9. AIX

Multiple DNS forwarders and syntax question.

Hey Guy's, Is there a limit on the number of forwards that can be used or the syntax and spaces? I noticed I have to put spaces between ; and the IP for at least the first one, then space at the end to work and the rest don't work at all no matter what I try. forward first; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD