Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Broken
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Broken Post 8731 by LivinFree on Wednesday 17th of October 2001 08:20:14 AM
Old 10-17-2001
Hmm... Is this the only operating system on the machine?

You may be able to (bear with me, I haven't done this in a long time...) use LILO on the floppy to boot your hard drive. First off, make a copy of your boot disk - work on the copy, and keep the original safe. You can either pass boot-time parameters to it, or (this may be easier) boot the disk, and edit the /etc/lilo.conf file. You should add a line similar to the following:
root = /dev/hda1
(Or wherever your root partition is). Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo to commit your changes before rebooting!

Read <a href="http://www.control-escape.com/lilo-cfg.html"><strong>this</strong></a>, and see if any of this helps... then, hold your breath and try booting your disk via the floppy... If that work, you can try to re-install your boot-loader (LILO) on the disk...

Let us know if that works, and what else you did to correct the situation. I hope that I've at least gotten you on the right track...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

3. Linux

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir2
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abir2
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

I know what causes 'broken pipe' errors, but I can't understand why I can get it (only occasionally) with my example: ps -ef | grep "\./ans$" | grep -v grep Basically I'm searching the ps output looking for the process I'm interested in and excluding the process that is grepping for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhew
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Broken pipe

Hi all, I am trying to run a sleep command and I am receiving a broken pipe when I execute. any help would be greatly appreciated. sleep `< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-6 | head -c2` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
2 Replies

7. AIX

Close broken lv ?

Hello, Due to disk failure I lost certain lv. Before running reducevg I'm trying to remove lv by using rmlv: 0516-1008 rmlv: Logical volume xxx must be closed. If the logical volume contains a filesystem, the umount command will close the LV device. lv is still open: # lslv xxx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies
RECOVER(1)						      General Commands Manual							RECOVER(1)

NAME
recover - recover a deleted file SYNOPSIS
recover [device] [options] OPTIONS
-h, --help prints help -a, --all no filtering; dump all deleted inodes DESCRIPTION
recover recovers a file which matches some ext2 - info about the deleted inode by getting all the deleted inodes and filtering them. It's based upon the Ext2Undeletion-howto by Aaron Crane. Using this utility, your chances to recover a lost file should increase a lot. QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DELETED FILE
o Hard disk device name o Year of deletion o Month of deletion o Weekday of deletion o First/Last possible day of month o Min/Max possible file size o Min/Max possible deletion hour o Min/Max possible deletion minute o User ID of the deleted file o A text string the file included (can be ignored) BUGS
Please note that recover does not work with ext3 filesystems, it is strictly ext2-only. For further information on this, please read /usr/share/doc/recover/README.ext2only WARRANTY
There is no warranty. SEE ALSO
debugfs (8) AUTHOR
Tom Pycke (Tom.Pycke@advalvas.be) WEBSITE
http://users.linuxbox.com/~recover November 4 1999 RECOVER(1)