Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: time zones
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers time zones Post 8691 by ldgriess on Tuesday 16th of October 2001 04:22:27 PM
Old 10-16-2001
Power time zones

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope someone can help me. I am currently putting code into a script that is run through the cron on a unix box where the date/time is set to EDT or Eastern Daylight Time but I am in Central Standard time. The program I am adding code to runs every hour and I put some code in it to create a file with a date stamp on the end of it. Well the program is supposed to create a new file every day and when the day rolls over at (supposedly) midnight but midnight is not really midnight so I need a way to run a date command and pulls back the date in CST rather than EDT and I can't change the TZ environmental variable. I need to try to do this in the date command but I'm kinda stumped anybody help me with some syntax to retrieve the date in CST time and not do any calculations on the date variable with anything because I don't want to have to worry about maintaining this program if the crazy sys admin decides to change the system date back to CST??????????

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Zones

Hi Everyone, How to create a loopback filesystem in a running non golbalzone? and how to share a diskgroup in veritas ? Thanks & Regards Padmaja (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padmaja
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Enabling time service in local zones

Hi, Is it possible to enable the time service in local zones? E.g. erahmanz1% svcs -a | grep -i time STATE STIME FMRI disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:dgram disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:stream disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/time:dgram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ERahman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

need help::solaris zones in real time..

Hi frnds... I just had interview with a client , question :: how do you implement solaris zones in real time. please can anyone give me stepbystep process of zones.... i know its there in sol10 pdf but i want short explantion which i can use to answer an interviewer... THANKS IN... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yrajendergoud
0 Replies

5. Solaris

showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone

can some one help me out as it is showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone .In global zone it is showing in GMT while in nonglobal zone i it showing as PDT. System in running with solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
3 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)