Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: time zones
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers time zones Post 8691 by ldgriess on Tuesday 16th of October 2001 04:22:27 PM
Old 10-16-2001
Power time zones

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope someone can help me. I am currently putting code into a script that is run through the cron on a unix box where the date/time is set to EDT or Eastern Daylight Time but I am in Central Standard time. The program I am adding code to runs every hour and I put some code in it to create a file with a date stamp on the end of it. Well the program is supposed to create a new file every day and when the day rolls over at (supposedly) midnight but midnight is not really midnight so I need a way to run a date command and pulls back the date in CST rather than EDT and I can't change the TZ environmental variable. I need to try to do this in the date command but I'm kinda stumped anybody help me with some syntax to retrieve the date in CST time and not do any calculations on the date variable with anything because I don't want to have to worry about maintaining this program if the crazy sys admin decides to change the system date back to CST??????????

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Zones

Hi Everyone, How to create a loopback filesystem in a running non golbalzone? and how to share a diskgroup in veritas ? Thanks & Regards Padmaja (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padmaja
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Enabling time service in local zones

Hi, Is it possible to enable the time service in local zones? E.g. erahmanz1% svcs -a | grep -i time STATE STIME FMRI disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:dgram disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/daytime:stream disabled Sep_10 svc:/network/time:dgram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ERahman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

need help::solaris zones in real time..

Hi frnds... I just had interview with a client , question :: how do you implement solaris zones in real time. please can anyone give me stepbystep process of zones.... i know its there in sol10 pdf but i want short explantion which i can use to answer an interviewer... THANKS IN... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yrajendergoud
0 Replies

5. Solaris

showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone

can some one help me out as it is showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone .In global zone it is showing in GMT while in nonglobal zone i it showing as PDT. System in running with solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
3 Replies
nqs2pbs(1B)								PBS							       nqs2pbs(1B)

NAME
nqs2pbs - convert NQS job scripts to PBS SYNOPSIS
nqs2pbs nqs_script [pbs_script] DESCRIPTION
This utility converts a existing NQS job script to work with PBS and NQS. The existing script is copied and PBS directives, #PBS , are inserted prior to each NQS directive #QSUB or #@$ , in the original script. Certain NQS date specification and options are not supported by PBS. A warning message will be displayed indicating the problem and the line of the script on which it occurred. If any unrecognizable NQS directives are encountered, an error message is displayed. The new PBS script will be deleted if any errors occur. OPERANDS
nqs_script Specifies the file name of the NQS script to convert. This file is not changed. pbs_script If specified, it is the name of the new PBS script. If not specified, the new file name is nqs_script.new . NOTES
Converting NQS date specifications to the PBS form may result in a warning message and an incompleted converted date. PBS does not support date specifications of "today", "tomorrow", or the name of the days of the week such as "Monday". If any of these are encountered in a script, the PBS specification will contain only the time portion of the NQS specification, i.e. #PBS -a hhmm[.ss]. It is suggested that you specify the execution time on the qsub command line rather than in the script. Note that PBS will interpret a time specification without a date in the following way: - If the time specified has not yet been reached, the job will become eligible to run at that time today. - If the specified time has already passed when the job is submitted, the job will become eligible to run at that time tomorrow. PBS does not support time zone identifiers. All times are taken as local time. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B) Local nqs2pbs(1B)